Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded Files Get Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jeffy87

jeffy87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

I have this problem that most every file I download gets corrupted. From music files off iTunes to .exe files, they all get corrupted. I don't know if this is stemming from the same problem, but whenever I try watching Youtube videos, the red streaming bar will continue to fill up the bar as if the entire movie has finished downloading, but the video stops dead in the middle as if I reached the end of the video. It's probably not my internet connection, because when I tried connecting my laptop to the same Ethernet cable as my desktop, my laptop doesn't experience this problem. I've tried cleaning my registry which didn't help as well. It could be malware, but unfortunately, I can't update Adaware or AVG as the update files aren't immune from this problem. My computer specs are below, and any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by jeffy87, 11 May 2008 - 01:08 PM.

Computer Specs:
Hitachi HDS721075KLA330
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
NVidia GeForce 7600 GT graphics card
ASUS A8N-SLI SE Motherboard
ULTRA 600W PSU
Microsoft XP Professional

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

may I suggest you follow the instructions on the bottom of your HJT thread

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142553/possible-virus-causing-blue-screens/

teacup 61(HJT Team)(comment posted only yesterday)

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

YES please ; we need that thread reopened

as i guess you are still infected ( and have seeminlgy a corrupted antivirus program too )and need the Team to clean you

may one ask if you do P2P stuff on that computer?

#3 jeffy87

jeffy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

may I suggest you follow the instructions on the bottom of your HJT thread

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142553/possible-virus-causing-blue-screens/

teacup 61(HJT Team)(comment posted only yesterday)

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

YES please ; we need that thread reopened

as i guess you are still infected ( and have seeminlgy a corrupted antivirus program too )and need the Team to clean you

may one ask if you do P2P stuff on that computer?

Ah, I found the problem that was causing the blue screens from my other thread. It was caused due to my CPU overheating. I've since bought a couple of case fans and haven't had a blue screen since. :thumbsup: Should I run another Hijack This scan? And if so, should I make a new thread since it's a new problem? Oh, and may I ask what "P2P" is?
Computer Specs:
Hitachi HDS721075KLA330
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
ULTRA 600W PSU

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

IS the computer at present running OK? or whatever' normal ' is for it?

if not try running this scan to see what IT flaggs up

Superantispyware; guide on how to install and run

If you have not already got a Downloads folder , I suggest you create a new folder in My Documents, and name it Downloads ;

Installing superantispywareSuperantispyware is found here

http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

Download to the Downloads folder the free exe to superantispyware from here

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

you install superantispyware by clicking on the icon in the downloads folder ;
it will launch the installation process;
follow the instructions and I suggest you ask for a default installation ;
ensure it creates a desktop icon for you ;
once the program has been installed it should ask you if you wish to update the program ; say YES

if it does not ask you , you need TO fully update the definitions by opening the program and find the ‘check for updates ‘tab in the bottom left of the menus you see; click on it and it will do the update for you ;
I suggest you ask it to check for updates again once the first update is complete just to be sure

please then reboot your computer ; it is preferable to run the scan in your computers safe mode;

please open this program from the desktop icon
please run the scan while you are OFF line and do not have the computer doing any other work while the scan runs

go to the preferences tab on the right
on the General tab I suggest you disable the scan on start up

on the Hijack protection tab I suggest you tick BOTH items; this enables the program to give you a Hijack home page alert if your home page gets changes ; if you DO get a home page hijack, when you boot up the computer superantispyware will open and tell you the home page has changed and will ask you if this is a legitimate change;

in statistics/logs- go to the bottom and you will see two boxes asking about keeping a log of scanning results and saving empty logs?

Tick both of them

Then go back to the main screen and see the tab that says scan your computer? Do you see that ?

Click on it

A screen will open ;on the left hand side ensure your FIXED drive ( most probably the C drive) is ticked;
Also tick in there any other section that is used and attached .
On the right had side you see three scanning options?; please click the Complete scan option

OK; you are now set to scan

Please then click on the ‘next’ tab and let the scan run please run the scan while you are OFF line and do not have the computer doing any other work while the scan runs

From my experience running this program the complete full scan CAN take many hours to run depending on how much is on your computer so be patient and let it run; maybe go for a cuppa or watch a favourite program while this one runs

Once the scan IS complete you will be presented with a box telling you what the scan has found ( if anything); if harmful objects have been found click on the OK button ; on the next screen all the harmful objects should have a check mark beside them, ; click ‘next’

A notification should appear that

‘quarantine and removal is complete’

click ‘ok’
and then the Finish button to get returned to the main menu

If you have run the scan in computers safe mode you will need to reboot to computer normal mode

If you have run in computer’s normal mode I suggest you reboot to enable the ‘fix’ the program has performed to consolidate

You then need to retrieve the scan result

Open the program and return to the statistics /logs section ; locate the most recent log ; left mouse click on it to highlight it and click the ‘view log’ tab

The log should appear in maybe note pad ; you need to copy and paste that log for examination
Once you have posted the log please close the superantispyware program

#5 jeffy87

jeffy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

Just to clarify:
The blue screen problem in my Hijack Thread is different from the downloading problem in this thread. The blue screens from my Hijack thread were caused by my CPU overheating which I've now taken care of. At present, I'm having a download problem as described above. I just tried downloading SUPERAntiSpyware, and that .exe file, too, was corrupted when I tried to open it in my Downloads folder.
Computer Specs:
Hitachi HDS721075KLA330
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
ULTRA 600W PSU

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

try runningi(nstalling )it direct from here?do NOT save it anywhere..............

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

ps; do you have limewire/utorrent or any similar program on your computer?

Edited by ruby1, 11 May 2008 - 04:24 PM.

#7 jeffy87

jeffy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:32 PM

I ran the scan and here's a copy/paste of the log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 05/11/2008 at 03:24 PM

Application Version : 4.0.1154

Core Rules Database Version : 3458
Trace Rules Database Version: 1449

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:25:04

Memory items scanned : 480
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 4765
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 21541
File threats detected : 16

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@serving-sys[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@advertising[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@insightexpressai[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@cdn.atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@bs.serving-sys[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@html[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@questionmarket[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@cgm.adbureau[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@mediaplex[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@tremor.adbureau[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@miaclan.hlstatsx[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@atwola[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Cookies\jeff@atdmt[2].txt

I used to have Limewire installed on this computer, but I uninstalled it a couple of weeks ago (this was after this problem arose).
Computer Specs:
Hitachi HDS721075KLA330
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
ULTRA 600W PSU

#8 jeffy87

jeffy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:35 PM

*shameless bump*

My problem still persists and I was wondering if there were any other thoughts?
Computer Specs:
Hitachi HDS721075KLA330
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
ULTRA 600W PSU

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

hello shameless bump :thumbsup:

yep; empty your temp internet files folder to remove all cookies; rerun sueprantispyware on a full deep computer scan after fully updating the program

then throw this at it
malawarebytes scanner
you need to be ON line to start this process and please run the scan in computer’s NORMAL mode

http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

alternate download link 1

http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam-setup.exe

alternate download link

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html

suggest; download the exe to your downloads folder so you know where to find it;

create from that folder a shortcut to your desktop

Double-click on the to install the application.
The installation is relatively straight forward; just follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.

When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Then click Finish.
The Program will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, you may manually download them from
here
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

On the main interface you will see different tabs at the top of the program?

Select each to see what they ask of you and what they each represent;
When you are ready to scan you will be asked to select the drives you wish to scan? The program should recognise ALL your drives ; if it does not I suggest you select all drives

You will be asked to select either a quick scan or a full computer scan my recommendation is to do a full scan so your search does not miss anything

Click the start button and let the scan run; it will show you how it is progressing, what section it is on and the elapsed time I ran a full trial scan on my relatively empty XP for a ‘sampling ‘ ;your scan may take about an hour or so to run;

When the scan is complete a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click on 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
On the Main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
Ensure everything is checked,

click Remove Selected.
When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
The log should be saved automatically and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and close the program

Note: please be aware ;

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

try that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users