Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek Ac'97 Audio Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tyrael98

tyrael98

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

Hi everyone!

I try to give as much detail of this problem as I can think of right now:
I just freshly reformated my C: drive, and when I went to reconfigure my drivers, the sound driver can't seem to work properly.
The computer beeps whenever it should give the standard windows ding from the speekers, the device manager shows a yellow exclamation mark (!) at my sound driver, which is a Realtek AC'97 Audio driver, and when I try to refresh or dowload another one, it says: Device cannot be activated (Code :10). I've downloaded the latest version from Realtek's page, did not fix it. It gives me a warning when I try to refresh it though, that 'This device did not pass the Windows Logo test', saying it's not compatible with XP. Which is funny, since before the reformat, I've been using it for a year without any problems. My Audio Card is an Intel 82801GB ICH7 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1], according to Everest. I've also checked the audio support in BIOS, it's enabled. In the Control Panel->Sound & Audio Devices panel everything is grayed out, every checkbox and every combobox on all tabs.

Can someone help me with this problem? I'm in a serious need of music right now... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

When downloading drivers, it's best to download them from the computer manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer
From the number you gave, I believe it's onboard sound not a sound card
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tyrael98

tyrael98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

I believe it's onboard sound not a sound card

Well yea, I read some comments too making the same conclusion, so it must be true :thumbsup:
Anyway, I went to my motherboard's manufacturer's site (Abit) and downloaded their audio driver for my mobo (an IL9 Pro if you ever need to know), but still didn't get me anywhere.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

Instead of just updating the driver, if it shows in Device Manager, remove it and reboot. If it doesn't reload automatically, then try to run the one you just downloaded
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 tyrael98

tyrael98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

I tried that part quite a few times but I gave it another try nonetheless.
Windows automaticly detects the device if missing on startup, but I tried to get it up manually. The only thing I learnt from this is that the driver I just downloaded from my mobo's site won't even install itself properly. The device manager gives a Code 1 error saying 'device is not configured properly', whereas all the other drivers, including the one I got with the computer gives a Code 10 which means it works, but won't starts.
So much for mobo drivers. :thumbsup:

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

You may have better luck downloading the drivers from the COMPUTER MANUFACTURER...They are the ones that built your system...If it's a DeLL get them from DeLL and so forth...If this is a system that was custom built then that is another issue altogether...Code 10 errors are almost always driver problems. Re-installing the correct driver for the system that you have will usually fix the problem...If it's a hard ware issue then that is different...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 tyrael98

tyrael98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

You may have better luck downloading the drivers from the COMPUTER MANUFACTURER

I hope thats not an emotion of Yelling I see in those lines. That would really piss me off right now.
I obviously didn't say anything about the manufacturer, since it's CUSTOM BUILT, just so you know.
(Who would buy a crappy manufactured one anyway?)

that is another issue altogether

Well, why do you think I'm here in the first place? sheesh.. :thumbsup:

Code 10 errors are almost always driver problems

Listen, I've tried to download nearly 20 versions of audio drivers and chipsets, including the latest version of the driver what I have on my CD, and even ones which were not even supposed to be compatible with my hardware. So if you still think this has to be a driver problem, I must be using the wrong internet.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

Well I hope you get your problem figured out. You obviously don't need my help
Mark
Posted Image

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

It was never my intent to YELL at you about anything. If you took it that way I am sorry. It was however your intent to disect everything that I posted and make some kind of smart alecky remark about it which does nothing to solve your issue. I'm supposed to know that this is a custom built unit, How? I'm supposed to know that you have downloaded 20 drivers that didn't solve your problem, Again How?

An explaination of error code 10 from Microsoft. Do what you want with it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#10 tyrael98

tyrael98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

Looks like I've just become Common Enemy Number 1 on this topic.

Listen, I'm not pecking on you, I'm pecking on what you said (no, thats not the same)
I'm been trying to solve this thing for 1,5 weeks by now on multiple forums, and after a few days if I see someone asking something like 'Have you tried turning it off and on again? It might work', I can really loose of temper. (I know you haven't asked that.) Come on people, I'm not that novice! After all , I did try to mention a lot of things in my first post. This is just not the kind of problem a little refresh can solve. But don't worry, next time I just simply going to say 'Yes' if I feel overwaxed. - No harm intended - (that roughly means sorry)

As for the link you've showed, there's Rule No.1: Never Trust Windows. Thats like trusting a second hands sales merchant who sells coffins. (Plus, I've already tried those solutions as well. They were the second thing what came to my mind if I can remember correctly.)
Windows Help Center pages usually never say anything useful. Most of their suggestions are downloading the latest service pack or go to Win Update and download everything. Seriously, wouldn't this the first thing you would do?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users