Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Failed To Be Recognised.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sugarfree

sugarfree

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

Hi,

I've got a USB 2.0 HD External Box. It's a two 40gig harddrive build into one.

It was working fine 2 days ago. Now it failed to be recognised by any computers!!

I plugged the harddrive in as usual, at first it still appears as "found new hardware", only the files wouldnt show when i click open the folder. Also, it'll only show one of the 40gig hardrive, the other one just simply didnt get recogniced AT ALL.

After a few attempts, it wouldnt even "found new hardware" anymore. And i wanted to safely-remove it, i click on the icon, it didnt do anything either. So under no choice, i had to just unplugged it without safety-remove it.

I also get a window pop up that shows:
Windows - Device Timeout " The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk1\DR6 was not completed before the time-out period expired." and then it's got "cancel", "try again", & "continue" i can click on. I've tried all three options and didnt help.

Also when the harddrive is plugged in, other function wouldnt work either. for i.e. i clicked on the INternet Explorer, nothing happened. As soon as i pull out the harddrive, 3 windows of INternet Explorer windows all appear!

Please help me! I've got 80G of information in that harddrive and i've got a deadline.! Im real stressed out at the moment :thumbsup: Anyone out there that know anything about it PLEASE HELP ME..!!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by sugarfree, 10 May 2008 - 11:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:37 AM

Have you installed anything onto your system between the time the HDD worked and the time it stopped working?

If so, you may need to uninstall that before you can get things running again.

Found this in another forum:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread67164.html
Re: USB HD Not Recognised in My Computer #4 Mar 6th, 2007
I found a solution to my problem - not sure it will help you, but it's worth a shot:

Go into the BIOS and disable "USB EHCI Controller", but leave "On Chip USB Controller" enabled. Save your changes and continue to boot your PC.

Although I now don't have "USB High Speed" access, my USB ports are working and my machine performance is back to normal.
HTH,
Mattisjo

access bios

however, considering that you say the bay wont work in ANY computer, i doubt this is the problem..

Im guessing it would have to do with the board inside the Drive Bay.

With that in mind, you could open up the external drive case and take the hdd's out and plug them into your computer the old fashioned way.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

Well...if it's a drive which can easily removed from the USB enclosure, I would remove it and attempt to connect it directly to the motherboard...and see if it appears/responds properly.

The drive itself may not have the problem, the enclosure could be the problem. If the enclosure has no fan (even if it does), overheating of the drive could possibly result in the effects you have seen.

It's been my experience that a drive which is not properly connected or which has problems...can create other seemingly unrelated problems in XP. Some of these can be alleviated by removing/disconnecting said drive. If you received a notice about a given hard drive having problems, it seems that you should remove that drive from the system...and see if other problems continue.

Louis

#4 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

I just thought of something... does the external drive have smart capabilities?

if so, there are many different programs out there designed to check smart drives, to see if it is a drive error. i doubt this is the case.

also, connect the drive then click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management

In the console tree, expand Storage and select Disk Management does it show up there??

this is from another page, hope it helps

1. Access Disk Management and see if the USB device is listed. If so, and
there's no drive letter assigned, see if you can assign a drive letter to
the device.
2. If the USB device is listed in Disk Management with an assigned drive
letter, right-click on its listing and select Explore from the submenu.
Hopefully, Windows Explorer will open and the device will be listed.
3. Connect the USB device *directly* to a USB port on the computer, not via
a USB hub. Try different USB ports should your computer have multiple ports.
4. Avoid using a USB extension cable.
5. Try connecting a USB device (that does not contain an auxiliary power
supply) to a USB port both *before* and *after* the boot operation.
6. Where a USB (or Firewire) external HDD is involved, access Device
Manager, highlight the Disk drives listing and click on the Action menu item
and then the "Scan for hardware changes" sub-menu item. Do the same in Disk
Management > Action > Rescan disks.
7. Try alternate powering on/off methods. If the USB device contains its own
power supply, try booting up with its power on, then try powering on only
*after* the system has booted to a Desktop.
8. Try a different USB cable.
9. In the USB controllers section of Device Manager, uninstall all the USB
controllers listed and reboot.
10. If the device in question is not a commercial USB external HDD but
rather one in which you installed a PATA HDD in a USB enclosure, jumper the
HDD as Master (or Single if the HDD is a Western Digital disk). A number of
users have reported that jumper configuration corrected their
non-recognition problem. In my own experience it didn't seem to matter how a
USB external HDD was jumpered. But it may be worth a try.
11. If the device in question is a USB external HDD, first check out the HDD
with the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. If it checks out OK,
and you can remove the HDD from its enclosure (without voiding any
applicable warranty), do so and install the HDD as an internal HDD to
determine if there are problems with the drive. (Note, however, that some
HDD diagnostic utilities will not detect a USB-connected HDD; the disk must
be connected as an internal HDD).
12. If the USB device is connected to a USB 2.0 PCI card, try changing the
card's PCI slot.
13. Access the website of the manufacturer of the USB device to determine if
there's any firmware update or info re the problem you're experiencing or
there's any possibility that the USB enclosure itself might be defective.
14. Determine from the manufacturer of your motherboard whether there's a
BIOS upgrade affecting USB device recognition.

P.S.
A number of posters have reported they've found useful information re
troubleshooting USB devices on this site...
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

Some BIOS will require the SMART feature to be enabled.

You could also use Everest Home edition and look at the SMART section under Storage and check out the attribute descriptions to see if there are any failures in the SMART.

Edited by dc3, 12 May 2008 - 11:48 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

I had this problem awhile back with my WD 160 Gb external.It was the strangest thing though it was working fine, and the computer would tell you it was connected, but you couldn't access the drive and it wouldn't show up in my computer, and yet it showed up in the disk manager. I didn't have any important info on the drive so I proceeded to write zeroes to all the drive sectors, then partition it ntfs in a live linux cd, seemed to work after that.

Edited by ussr1943, 13 May 2008 - 05:51 AM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#7 sugarfree

sugarfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

Hi :-) Thanks for the advises!

I havent install in my laptop anything between the working-not working period.

A friend told me that my harddrive is getting old and i need to plug in both end of the cable to computer instead one (the usual way i do it), it works after that but it still read really really slow (eventho im glad it is at least reading). I have to wait like half an hour to read all my files, then only i can access it.

What is SMART? How do I know if my harddrive run by SMART?

i didnt know i can use my harddrive without cable. now i know, i'll try take the the harddrive out and plug them in the old fashioned way.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:04 AM

S.M.A.R.T. is Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.

How much free space do you have on the hdd? If you get down below 15% free space this will slow the hdd down.

To see how much free space you have go to Start, then My Computer and right click on the drive, choose Properties, you will see the used space, free space, and capacity.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

My 320 gb Western Digital MY BOOK USB drive did the same thing yesterday. I was transferring its contents to a different drive and it took a long time so I left the room. When I returned it had stopped spinning and felt hot. Now it will not spin at all.

The Device Manager can see it but cannot show anything about it. In My Computer and Disk Management it does not show up at all. The Western Digital tools cannot see the drive.

If I reboot to try to see it in BIOS, my computer hangs on the boot screen. As soon as I unplug the hard drive the computer continues to boot.

I do not see a simple way to open the case to try to plug it directly to my motherboard. Is there a way to do it without destroying the case?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Well...you can always approach it from a different path.

Rather than open the enclosure and test it...attach it to any other computer system that is a known-good, working system. If the drive doesn't function on another system, it seems that your options are further limited.

FWIW: USB 2.0 enclosures are varied and not priced exorbitantly. The hard drive will work in any USB 2.0 enclosure, not just the one that it came in.

Louis

#11 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:09 AM

Well...you can always approach it from a different path.

Rather than open the enclosure and test it...attach it to any other computer system that is a known-good, working system. If the drive doesn't function on another system, it seems that your options are further limited.

FWIW: USB 2.0 enclosures are varied and not priced exorbitantly. The hard drive will work in any USB 2.0 enclosure, not just the one that it came in.

Louis

Nope, it's the same with two computers. Thanks for trying. Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users