Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Create A Bootable Vista And Xp Partition?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shadow1768

shadow1768

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

Okay, so I just brought an external hard drive and am currently formatting two partitions, a 20GB one (for XP) and a 50GB one (for Vista). I'm planning to backup files and then reinstall Vista on my desktop along with all the usual programs and music I have and then do it again for with XP for my laptop. What I wish to do is create a bootable ghost image of both hard disks and save them to the external one. The only problem is, I do not know how to create a bootable ghost image. I'm also wondering if it is even possible to create a bootable ghost image especially when the it is a USB hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:33 AM

If the purpose for making a bootable ghost image is to save the partition for later restoration, then this is easy to do with several 3rd party apps. If it's for the purpose of booting the image off of the USB drive, then it's not so easy to do.

Acronis True Image (approx $50 US) will allow you to make an image of your hard drive, and will also have you make bootable media (a CD/DVD) so that you can boot from it and restore the image off of the USB drive. I haven't tried any of the freeware applications that do this, so I'm afraid I can't recommend any (check this topic for some suggestions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

If you want to boot off the USB drive to reinstall the image, then that'll be more difficult. You'll have to make the USB drive bootable with an OS that will recognize USB devices and will match with the image software restore program.

If you're just trying to boot to the OS on the USB drive, then that'll be even more difficult (and I don't know about doing it with Vista). I considered trying this with XP at one point (and found this article: http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8 ) but found it to be too much trouble for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users