Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Turned Off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kubwasana

kubwasana

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

I have used System restore many times on my previous computer with no difficulty.
However, when I attempt to restore on this one I get a weird message that I can't begin to uderstand...

System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on System Restore contact your domanin administrator.

What's alll this about? Who turned it off? What group? Who is the domain administrator.
I am the sole user of this machine so I'm baffled over these terms.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hi there kubwasana, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Group Policy is a system in Windows XP Pro that's designed to allow administrators of large networks to control various aspects of Windows. Here's how to fix your particular issue:

1. Click Start, Run and type GPEDIT.MSC

2. Navigate to this path:

-> Computer Configuration
--> Administrative Templates
---> System
----> System Restore

3. Set Turn off System Restore to Not Configured

4. Set Turn off Configuration to Not Configured

If you have any questions about these instructions, please ask!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 10 May 2008 - 08:28 PM.

#3 kubwasana

kubwasana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:35 PM

Thank you, AA. It didn't quite work slthough I went through the routine three times just in case. However, out of curiosity I clicked on "properties" which presented me with an on/off choice of System restore.
I clicked "on" and it appeared.
Unfortunately I can't restore using either method - dates provided or do-it-yourself dates -. It insists on staying on today date and won't click on any of the bold print options. I wondered if this could be due to the presence of the malignant Antivirus 2008 which I was hoping would be deleted by restoring the system.
Thanks for your invaluable assistance.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

Ugh, Antivirus 2008... I just spent the better part of a day wrestling with that one.

So you're saying that there are Restore Points, but you can't successfully restore or that there appear to be restore points but you can't even select them to try to restore?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users