Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down Immediately After Powering On.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

I found another halfway decent motherboard in my $35 motherlode (Found here.) It worked just fine last night when I tested it, but when I came back today, I tried to boot it up again and it starts glitching out on me. Whenever I turn it on, it runs for a few seconds, the CMOS does the memcheck, and before anything else happens, it shuts off on me! I unplugged everything, except for the motherboard power and the cord for the on switch, and reset the CMOS, but nothings working! Anyone have any ideas?

Posted Image

I don't know what model the motherboard is, but it has 1 AGP port, 2 PCI ports, 1 FDD connector, 2 EIDE connectors, AMD processor, and (I think) PCNet integrated ethernet.

EDIT: Does anyone know where I can get good quality, low wattage power supplies for cheap in bulk?

Edited by madman6510, 10 May 2008 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

Check the copper stand offs and make sure there in the correct spaces. Also make sure there are no globs of solder touching any of the standoffs. Also check around the IO shield and make sure nothing is grounding out.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

Nope, nothing. All of the solder is perfectly where it should be and the IO shield is fine. I even took the heatsink off to take a look at the processor, and the integrated (grr!) 1999 AMD Duron processor is in perfect condition. (I'd give pictures, but my camera decided that it was out of juice right when I was about to take a picture. I'll upload one later.)

EDIT: Here's those pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by madman6510, 10 May 2008 - 07:51 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:56 AM

Make sure there is no thermal paste between the copper connections on the processor. Make sure its only on the heat spreader.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

Compare the placement of your motherboard's standoffs with the motherboard documentation; omitting a standoff can cause a number of odd problems. Be sure to use the same number of standoffs as your motherboard has holes. Make sure they are all screwed in, but not too tight.

#6 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:57 PM

i have attached your manual for the K7SEM rev 3.0C

and here's the link for the bios, and drivers...

Hope it helps

Attached Files

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

Looking at that picture I see a buildup of dust on the heat sink for the CPU, this can cause thermal problems which can shut down the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

was browsing the manual, connect the case fan and the processor fan, see if that helps....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users