Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undo A Reinstall Of Os

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jojo222

jojo222

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

I need to undo a reinstall of Vista. I need to get all my files back. I was told Vista has its own back up system and all is still there. How do I do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

Depends how you reinstalled.
If you reinstalled using the manufacturers disk, you probably wiped out the backups at the same time.
Generally, a recovery install using Windows installation media will retain all user account settings, including documents.
Look in C:\Users Using Explorer\Computer
If you can see a folder for your old username, or there are two folders for your current user name, you may be in luck.
Under each user folder, ther should be a folder called documents. See if your files are in there.

If not, you've probably lost your backups as well. I'm not a Vista expert though, so someone more familiar with Vista might be able to help.

Post back some more details about your PC please, including:
*What version of Vista (displayed at bottom of startup screen)
*How many Hard Drives
*How you Reinstalled Vista
*Make and Model of Computer

HTH,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 jojo222

jojo222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for your reply. I used the manufacturer reinstall cds so I guess all is gone. I will check the way you mention just in case. Have another question. What I am looking for is my iTunes and Limewire files. I did save it to the back up e drive but when I hooked it up to the computer after the reinstall, nothing was there anymore. I was told that iTunes makes it impossible to save the library. I have all my files on my iPod so how do I put that back onto iTunes on the new reinstalled OS on this computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users