Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viewing Mac Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Haus

Haus

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:04 PM

I am not to savvy on Mac's, and need a little information.
My daughter does digital imaging in school on a Mac.
So this is the question.
She can not view files on her laptop(Windows XP Home) she saves on her flash drive after working in the computer lab (Mac's).
I was wondering if I format her laptop in FAT32 format then she could transfer them for I am under the impression that Mac's file format is FAT.
Anyone shed some light on this for me.
Or should I just sell her laptop and purchase her a Mac.
Thanks
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:17 PM

She can download this codec and she will be fine!

http://www.3ivx.com/download/index.html

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:13 PM

When she hooks up the flash memory to her laptop can she see files on it, but just not open them with any application?

#4 Haus

Haus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:36 PM

Well Grinler I am not sure what it does all I know is she said she can not see the files she saves on it off the Mac.
I was told in the Mac newsgroups that it is because Windows is not versatile enough to see Mac but it will work the other way, to have her format the flash drive in the Windows PC then Mac will be able to read from it and write to it and then the PC can do the same.
I talked to someone that is setup just the opposite, he had a Desktop PC with factory XP on it so I am sure it is NTFS format, and a Powerbook laptop and that is what he told me to do. I am sure this will probably work for text files or .pdfs or something else that's platform-independent. If you have anymore information I am willing to listen.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:28 PM

Format it on the MAC for dos. That wil make it fat32 and will be able to be read on both systems.

#6 Haus

Haus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:13 PM

Thanks Grinler
I will see what I can do.
I am sure that I will do it wrong the first time or 2 but will keep plugging away and will eventually get it done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users