Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Conflicts From Wireless Repeater

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Synja

Synja

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

We've got 2-4 computers networked across the house currently, with the router and modem over at the far end and my computers at the opposite end. Noticing that I was getting a very weak signal from across the house, I bought and installed an Airlink wireless repeater yesterday, which seemed to improve my connectivity significantly.

The only issue is that now my computer (only one of the computers on the network) is getting constant IP conflicts. Event viewer displays the repeater's MAC address as the source of the problem.

I cannot change or set the repeater's IP address; it just resets back to its default (192.168.1.250). My computer was originally 192.168.1.4 with automatic IP assignment, but when I started receiving the IP conflict errors I changed it manually to 192.168.1.7. It doesn't matter what I set; I continue to receive IP conflict messages regularly, whether I set it manually or allow it to detect automatically.

A few hours of googling revealed that this isn't uncommon when using wireless repeaters, and is the result of something called Gratuitous ARP, so I looked this up and found that the registry key ArpRetryCount can be added and set to 0 to suppress this (I am running Windows 2000 Pro on this machine). So I gave that a try, but it seems to have had no effect. I am really not sure what else I can do.

If anyone has successfully handled this problem, I would love to know how. I don't really want to stop using the repeater if I can avoid it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandit21

bandit21

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

The main reason why your getting that message on the your computer(there's an IP address conflict in your network) means that two or more device share the same local IP address. you mentioned that the default IP address of your repeater is 192.168.1.250, have you also tried changing the IP address of your repeater via Web UI(http://192.168.1.250), when I cheked on your device's setup page on the manufacturers website it seems there is no option to set it to dynamic or static IP but it should take your changes after saving the settings on the Web UI if it's not saving then try to update it's firmware to the lates I think it's for free on their website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users