Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Dell Dimension 5150.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peterabott

Peterabott

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

Let me start off from the start.

I turn on my computer ... Do some homework, play a couple games ... It's fine. I turn it off again.

Next morning: I turn it on, log in to my WinXP account. Wait for my antivirus and stuff to load. Still waiting. And waiting.

Nothing happens. I move the mouse around, at least that still works. Scrolling over stuff has no effect, nothing lights up. None of my system tray items load, except for maybe 3. My taskbar, desktop background, and desktop items load. I cannot do anything except move the mouse around ... Clicking does nothing.

I restart my computer, and try again. Maybe it was some strange hardware fault. Same thing happens.

I restart my computer, but stay on the login screen. The same thing happens, except, of course, it's on the login screen.

I try safemode. It comes up with a black screen filled with white text of a bunch of drivers. I leave it there for about 20 minutes. When I go back to check, it's still there.

I try starting with last know working configurations. Windows starts up fine, but it freezes as normal.

By this time I'm convinced it's not a virus, but rather a hardware problem, since I'm unsure if viruses can do anything before you even log in. Maybe it's possible.

I leave it for a couple months, asking my computer-savvy friends and doing some research. I try again a couple months later. Same effect.

About a week later, my computer friend is over. I try to log in. My keyboard no longer works, but it isn't broken. The lights on it are still on. I believe some sort of virus has deleted my keyboard's registry file (I think that's what it's called). I know how to fix this, but unfortunately I have about 30 seconds after logging in to do so. Not nearly enough time.

At this point I'm convinced it can't be a hardware problem, but rather a virus.

There is one other possibility that I see, is completely my fault. I had Windows Defender, McAfee Total Protection, Nod32 Trial, and possibly one more antivirus running at the same time. I now know that this is apparently suicidal. PLEASE don't rub it in.

After running a couple more tests, it does not freeze on the F8 screen. The keyboard works on the F8 screen, and I could feel a little bit of a current and the air was colder at the back of my PC, indicating the fan was working.

All I would like to know is if I could wipe my disk without it freezing. I will post back when I get results from my 'tests'.

If you have any other ideas, PLEASE let me know.

Edited by Peterabott, 10 May 2008 - 12:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

idea :thumbsup: your multiple av programs application does not help

uninstall all but ONE of the multitude of antivirus programs you have on board ; reboot

when did you last manage to go to the microsoft windows update site?

is system restore turned ON?

if it will , can you run a disc defragment on it

let us know how it boots up and IF it is at all interested in going on the internet?

#3 Peterabott

Peterabott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

I cannot do any of that, seeing as I have 15 seconds before my computer freezes after logging in.

I updated Windows REGULARLY.

I know having multiple Antivirus programs was stupid.

Did you even read the whole post? ...

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

If you boot to a recovery cd or windows cd and have issues running repair or reinstalling then that's a good indication you have hardware failure

It could just be a power supply dying, that's what I run into the most in my work
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Peterabott

Peterabott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

Alright, I figured as much. I'm having problems finding a Repair Disk (I know ...), but that's nothing you can help with.

I was told by a few people who asked me a bunch of questions that a Repair Disk SHOULD be able to wipe my disk, so I'm hoping that if I can find a recovery disk it'll work.

I have a question, though. If it's not freezing on the F8 menu (where I can choose safemode), could it still be the power supply? My computer is only 3 years old, by the way.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

I loaded or reloaded windows on a computer that had a very bad infection 3 times, each time windows failed earlier and earlier into the process, I thought it might be the hard drive but when I tried another power supply all the problems went away

It's hard to troubleshoot such issues and I have been doing this for 10 years

Never assume there's only one thing wrong with a computer, often as not there's more than one.

If you have xp home oem, try to borrow a generic disk from someone and run a repair disk, that will eliminate hardware issues and might fix windows enough to be able to fight the infections left if any?

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

or try this

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=securit...buildertutorial

when the going gets tough the tough get going
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users