Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disc Space Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yankees81

Yankees81

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

My computer is constantly telling me that my disc space is below 200 MB on my C drive. Im not sure how that is possible. I dont have that much stuff on my computer (I think). How can I check out whats on the C drive taking up all of the space?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

go to my computer, right click on the c drive, click properties, and see how much space is used up....

Edited by ph7ryan, 10 May 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#3 Yankees81

Yankees81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

it's telling me that Im using up 34.1 GB? That's a tremendous amount of GB's to use. Could something be taking up all of that space that I dont know about? How can I found this out?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

right click on the documents and settings folder(properties) in your C drive and see how big it is?

Edited by DaChew, 10 May 2008 - 11:43 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:44 AM

well, you can go inside of the c drive, and hover the mouse over each folder, and see which ones have massive amounts of memory taken up...then do the same inside of that until you find out which one you need to delete some files from....also, download "advanced windows care", and run the check...it will probably speed your computer up a tad, and the very last check, it checks inside of the temporary internet files and deletes them....this is for like you tube, the video has to download to your computer somewhere, and it ends up in this hidden folder....Big name brand programs usually take up a lot of room to...like if you have photoshop CS3, that is huge....and windows by itself has a good chunk of memory usage also...after you run the check, you will probably free around 300-400 mb the first time....

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

Hello Yankees81,

In My Computer, right-click on the C: drive, click Properties, then click the Disk Cleanup button in the General tab. Windows will analyze/calculate how much space it can free-up (by deleting temporary files, etc.) and then will present of list of those items. Check the items in the list for the category of files you want to delete, then click OK, and then click Yes. (NOTE: I would advise NOT compressing old files.)

If that doesn't free-up a lot of space, you can download and run either/both of the following programs to give you a graphical "picture" of all the files on your system so that you can easily see what file, or group of files, occupies so much disk space:

SequoiaView:

http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoe...n/sequoiaview//

WinDirStat:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/

Edited by M..., 10 May 2008 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users