Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

So I just installed a new motherboard, and everything appears to work, minus the BIOs....Even the LED lights for the ethernet work. But when there is no RAM installed, there is no beeping, not to mention that the mobo has an integrated system speaker....now I have never installed a mother board before, so I may be forgetting a crucial step, but here is what I have tired....

Booting up like normal with normal jumper settings
Changing the jumper settings to configure mode
Changing the jumper to recover mode with nothing in any drives
Changing the jumper to recover mode with a recovery floppy disk
Changing the jumper to recover mode with a recovery CD
Changing the jumper to recover mode with a recovery CD and floppy disk
Changing the jumper settings to configure mode with a recovery floppy disk
Changing the jumper settings to configure mode with a recovery floppy disk and CD

And I may be forgetting something, but the mobo came with a driver CD, but i thought it would be pointless, being that the mobo would already be working if it was able to be in windows XP....

so i tried all those with the driver CD also....

Please help someone....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

please help someone

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

When you say when their is no RAM installed their is no beeping? Does it beep at all when their is RAM in? If it beeps thats a sign the BIOS is probably working.

You can "replace" a BIOS if you like the mobo so much but its nothing but a pain in the but to unsolder and re-solder it. So I would recommend to RMA the board if its still under warranty.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

no, there is no beeping at all...i know that there is no bios installed....shouldn't there be a was to install one on there...it isn't hardware, the BIOS is a software flashed onto the flash chipset....

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

I have a hard time understanding what your exact problem is. Are you saying that when you turn it on there are no BIOS beeps and nothing shows on the monitor screen? Do any of the fans spin? Do you have BOTH plugs plugged into the motherboard from the power supply? Does your graphics card require a power supply plug?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

yes....everything works....

THE PROBLEM IS THERE IS NO BIOS!!!

THAT IS THE PROBLEM....is there a way to install a new BIOs???.....Without one already installed is my question, and how....

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

Unless you're running a computer from the early '90's when some computers didn't have a flash ROM BIOS chip. you have a BIOS
Your machine would not turn on if you didn't have a BIOS.
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

ok, well then....all the fans in my machine work, the processor produces heat, the front panel power switch turns on, and the LED lights for the ethernet card work, but there are no beeps ever, whether there is RAM in or out, the monitor stays in the sleep mode, and I am unable to recover the BIOS at all...

The board I am running is a D845GLLY, it came with an XP driver disk, but I don't have any clue what the point of it would be, it is a compatible P4 processor, the system speaker, VGA port, and ethernet port are all integrated onto the board, so there is no problems with a Graphics card, I have 256 mb of compatible sdram in place. And yes, I bought a brand new power supply with 400watts, and a 4 pin power cord to plug into the motherboard for the processor....

The only thing I can think of would be that there is no BIOS installed....

I will try and take a video and record what exactly I am talking about.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

On an Intel motherboard, you tap the F2 key instead of the Delete key at boot up, to access the BIOS. The speaker could be broke.
What is your problem? No video display?
Mark
Posted Image

#10 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Ya, there is no video display, which I would assume as being a symptom of no bios, because there would be nothing to display on the screen

#11 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

here's your bios

although before you go ahead and flash, i would say just for the hell of it, throw a pci video card in, and see what happens.

also your full product specs lists compatable devices, maybe your power supply isnt the exact match?

#12 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

well, it is a self extracting file, that requires a view of the operating system to open, not to mention the fact that it has no monitor view at all, and that the drives power up, butI have no way of verifying if they are being read by the motherboard or not....

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:00 AM

I've run into the same problem when I was attempting a new build recently...same symptoms, nothing on monitor.

I have gotten no farther with it (since it's nonessential for me) but I suspect that it's a motherboard/RAM issue (in my case). When I get interested again, I will solve it :thumbsup:.

Have you tried reseating the video card and reseating the RAM modules?

You might want to take a look at [post="http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/video-card-support/209833-solved-finished-building-my-system-nothing-appears-monitor.html"]No Video, New System[/post]

What I have gotten from the various posts similar to the above: Just start at the beginning again and ensure that all connections are properly made (as a first step)...then start with minimal components and add step-by-step.

Edited to add: You're wrong in your assumptions about the BIOS, this is not a BIOS issue, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2008 - 10:01 AM.

#14 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

well the board requires the same RAM as the RAM i was using in the old board, and I have reseated it like 12 times by now, the video card is integrated into the motherboard so I would reseat it if i could, and if the system speaker doesn't beep, and I set the jumper settings to recovery mode yet the motherboard won't read anything from the perfectly fine and working drives, it needs to be a BIOs issue...there is no other issue it could possibly be....

#15 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

How do you know its the BIOS sepcifically? God forbid it could be the motherboard itself. Well... I'm going to venture a guess and something I see Garmanma commonly say.

Strip it down to motherboard, processor and RAM. Try booting it up and if it works add each device back one at a time.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users