Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protected Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 damon bach

damon bach

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

On boot, my son's computer kept getting error: no operating system present, boot from CD. When I booted from the CD, setup tried unsuccessfully to repair Windows XP. After re-installing XP, my son could not access his account, which contains all of his school work. Windows does not display the account. I can see that the account still exists using the dos prompt. Is there any way to access this account ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

You'll have to go in (in an Administrator account) and take ownership of the files in order to access them. Open up Windows Explorer (Start...Run...type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter) and navigate to the account's folder. Right click on it and select "Properties", then select the "Security" tab...

If the tab isn't visible, then you'll have to boot into Safe Mode and use the Administrator account there to access the folder using the above directions.

...Once you're in the Security tab, click on the Advanced button
Then click on the Owner tab
Double click on your (or his) account name to take ownership
Then put a checkmark in the box that states "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
Click on Apply and then on OK to make the changes effective. Close the rest of the dialog and you should be able to access the files now.

Be advised that I've found this process to be a bit finicky - so you may have to drill down into the directories beneath the main one and reapply the changes. FYI - here's a guide that I wrote a while back about how to do this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users