Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Dialog Boxes Can Cause 3 Second Delay

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Infil

Infil

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been having this problem for some time on this new computer. I think it might be some malfunctioning device driver, but I really don't know where to begin looking. Sometimes when I am using networked applications (including one I am currently writing in C#), opening a dialog box will cause a 3 or 4 second delay between when I click it and when my system finally is able to respond. After this time, it finally shows up in the task bar; during that time, my system is completely unresponsive to everything else. This can also happen, on occasion, if I click a link in a networked application and it tries to open in the default browser (which is already open and waiting). I should also clarify that it's not just dialog boxes, but can also be new windows from an application (for example, Windows Live Messenger). I'll be working away and suddenly my computer won't respond for 4 seconds. Then, after that time, a new IM window will pop up on my task bar with a new conversation someone started, and then I will get control of my OS back again.

I've actually just gotten used to it over the last year or so, but now it's actually causing problems with the application I'm building (even trying to open an "Open File" dialog box can cause the system to miss key messages sent from other connected users during this stall time). I know this isn't supposed to be this way. Do I have some sort of malicious program causing this? Is it a bad driver or something to do with Windows? I would prefer not to have to reinstall Windows if I can; I'm unable to deal with that big of an overhaul of my PC at the moment.

Thanks for any help! I will be willing to post output logs from certain programs if someone thinks they will be helpful. I chose this forum because I think it is related to the operating system, but if someone feels it's better served elsewhere, please move this post!

Edited by Infil, 10 May 2008 - 04:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:31 AM

Most often this is caused by a lack of resources to process the action. In most cases this points to an overload in either the memory or the CPU. In the memory, this is typically because there's too much stuff in memory, so the system is taking stuff from the pagefile (which slows the system down). In the CPU, it's typically because there's just too much stuff open.

Does this behavior improve when you close down all of the running stuff? If so, then it's a matter of selectively closing down the running stuff to see what's causing the behavior.

Here's another way to see if you can locate the exact problem that's causing it:

Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del)
Click on the Processes tab
Click on the View menu item
Click on the Select Columns selection
Place a tick mark in the IO Reads box
Click OK to accept the changes
Resize the Task Manager window so you can see all the columns

Then do the action that causes the lag, and watch the Task Manager window to see what's causing the problems. If you double click on each column header you can get it to sort by that column so it's a bit easier to watch (do this for the CPU, memory, and IO Reads columns)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users