Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicating Short Cuts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 geotan

geotan

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:51 AM

Good day to all you Gurus,
Running XP Home SP2 with AMD Athlon 3200+ and 2 GB Ram.
I had a problem where I could not open any programme whether I clicked on a Desk To Shortcut or used the Start Menu.
I sent it away to a repair shop, they brought it back saying that everything was ok but it is not.
If I click on a shortcut it does not open the programme but puts a duplicate shortcut on the Desk Top. If I open Internet Explorer [6] from the Start Menu I get the message "has to close" and sometimes get a message about Dr Marten [whatever that is].
Next problem. I had to put in all the serial numbers for all Adobe programmes but when I tried to put in the serial number for Adobe Audition it tells me that it is an invalid number. I went in to Control Panel>Ad d/Remove programmes there are TWO listings for Audition. I tried to uninstall them but cannot.
I got in touch with the company that did the repair for me but all they want to do is a complete reinstall of Windows and charge me again which I am reluctant to let them do as they will not do it for free even though they told me that the machine was repaired.
I would appreciate any advice that you can give me.
GEORGE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

Do you have a XP CD? You could try some repair options
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Yes I have the CD. In fact there are two. Support driver CD and Product Recovery CD. Is it difficult to do a repair? Will I lose all that I have saved on the hard drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users