Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am In A Land Of Confusion With Pdf's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

I have a brother MFC 8440 at my home office. The bottom line is I want to scan a document and I want it to go straight to a designated folder as a pdf file. I downloaded cute PDF but that didnt help. It would be a major operation to get it to a pdf if t was possible. Are there any free programs that will allow me to scan documents as a pdf file? Also, why can I not search the forum for pdf subjects? It wont let me. Any advice? Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by chugg, 09 May 2008 - 11:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:25 AM

Off the top of my head, I do have one suggestion. If your scanner supports a "send to printer" function then you may be able to set it up with the Bullzip PDF printer which is a virtual printer for Windows that generates PDF files. If you can get the scanner to print to the virtual PDF printer, then you should be all set.

As for being unable to search for "PDF" using the forum's built-in search tool, that's due to a restriction in place forbidding search terms with less than 4 characters. I'm not sure as to the reasoning behind this, but every forum I visit that uses Invision Power Board (like BC) has this restriction.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

Try using pdf*, or even adding a letter like pdff. That can usually work.

#4 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

Try using pdf*, or even adding a letter like pdff. That can usually work.

i dont get it hah?

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Im still lost here. Anyone?

#6 SueInAtl

SueInAtl

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

Unless you are using OCR, then you are scanning in an image. You can place the image in a document, then save it as a pdf. I don't know of a tool that will go straight to a pdf unless the one mentioned earlier will work. I use doPdf which installs as a printer, so I "print" to a pdf format file.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:47 AM

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
I've found some applications out there, none for free
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 SueInAtl

SueInAtl

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

I think the one I'm using came from majorgeeks.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users