Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Connect To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2drnick

2drnick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

Hello Everyone
I have a Toshiba laptop, running XP, with wireless connection.
Recently my Nortons 360 advised an update was available, and I duly downloaded it. I then ran Spybot to make sure nothing came in with it.
Spybot found Virtumonde which I "removed" with Spybot.
I then couldnt connect to the internet / receive email.
I have run Nortons itself and it found trojan.vundo, and Nortons wanted to reboot to fix it.
This I did, still cant connect to the internet.
I have used the search function on this forum for internet connectivity, several threads said to run Avast!, which I downloaded via the PC I am using to send this note, transfered via data key. It didnt find anything, but, there were 5 files it couldnt scan.
I tried running sfc / runnow from the start menu and the prompt screen flashes up literally for a minisule of a second and then disappears.
I have skimmed the forum on Trojans / vundo and all the adviice seems to require internet connection, which I dont have on the PC with the problem!!
I have run Ad-aware, found a few tracking cookies but nothing else.
Nortons then said "it has encountered a problem" and takes me down the path of checking my connectivity, and ends up wanting to establish a dial up connection ( I dont have a phone line in the house to do that !!)
When I click on the Explorer icon, it gives me the std "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message, and when I use the "diagnose connection problems" it ends up trying to tell me to check the firewall settings.
I have disabled the firewall, still nothing.
Lastly, the PC does have wireless connection with the router.
All help gratefully received
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Download LSPFix and save to your desktop.
alternate download site
alternate download site
  • Disconnect from the Internet, go to the LSPfix file and extract (unzip) LSP-Fix into its own folder such as C:\lspfix. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure. Win 9x/2000 users click here.
  • Open the lspfix folder and double-click on LSPFix.exe to start the program.
  • Check the "I know what I am doing" checkbox.
  • Select (highlight) all instances of BAD.dll in the left column under "Keep".
  • Click the arrow >> so it goes over to the right column under "Remove".
  • Click "Finish" and LSPfix will remove references to the file and restore the chain numbers.
  • Restart your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
  • Delete the following files:
    • C:\Windows\system32\BAD.dll
      C:\Windows\system32\BAD.dll
  • Restart your computer normally and post a new HJT log.
For instructions with screen shots, see the "Using LSP-Fix Tutorial".
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 2drnick

2drnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:16 AM

Thanks boopme
Have downloaded / transfered / run LSP-fix, but it hasnt found any BAD.dll files.
All it has found is

mswsock.dll
winrnr.dll
rsvpsp.dll

As we would say here in Oz ... "what the??"

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

Ok that bites. Let's try this tool>>>
Download and run WinSockFix. This is a two step process that will Back up the Registry and Reset the Winsock Stack.
  • Double click on WinsockXPFix.exe to open.
  • On the Winsock and TCP Repair Utility screen, click "ReG-Backup"
  • On the ERDNT Welcome screen, click "OK".
  • On the Backup to: screen, click "OK".
  • On the Folder does not exist question screen click "Yes".
  • You will see a status screen as your registry is being backed up.
  • On the Registry backup is complete! screen, click "OK" and you will go back to the main window.
  • On the Winsock and TCP Repair Utility screen, click "Fix".
  • On the Apply the VB_Winsock fix? screen click "Yes".
  • The screen will display a status message "repair completed please reboot."
  • On the Repair Completed screen click "OK" to reboot your computer.
  • If your computer was not using DHCP, you will need to reconfigure TCP/IP.
  • You should have connectivity restored.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 2drnick

2drnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:58 AM

Bugger!
I hate timezone differences!
Inbetween my last and your last boopme, I rang my ISP just to check my settings.
The techo had me "ping" Google from tha command prompt, and it got thru.
I got the sh1ts with Nortons at that moment and uninstalled it.......
hey presto, I have connectivity again.
I am still sending these notes from my "other" PC as the one I had the problem with is currently chugging its way thru a full AVG Internet Security download (51mb).
Will keep you posted if I (still) have connectivity after that........
Cheers
Nick

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

OK keep us posted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users