Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Programs To Start Menu From Old Installation Of Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 metspiction

metspiction

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hello,
I have a laptop that is running Windows XP home edition. I was trying to dual boot Windows Server edition 2003, and in the process of installation, I royally messed up just about everything. I got the error at startup saying that "ntoskrnl.exe" was corrupted, and I had to reinstall windows. After reinstalling it, I noticed that all of my programs and documents weren't formatted like i thought they would be. I've backed up all my documents, but I can't re-incorporate all the old programs into the 'new' version of windows. Is this possible to do?

Alternatively, is there an easy way to fix the 'old' version of windows and somehow delete the new one?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Hi metspiction, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

and I had to reinstall windows.

Which version did you reinstall, Server or XP?

After reinstalling it, I noticed that all of my programs and documents weren't formatted like i thought they would be.

Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean they won't open, they're not associated with the right programs, or something else altogether?

I've backed up all my documents, but I can't re-incorporate all the old programs into the 'new' version of windows. Is this possible to do?

Programs will need to be reinstalled after reinstalling Windows. It's the only practical way, unfortunately.

Alternatively, is there an easy way to fix the 'old' version of windows and somehow delete the new one?

Perhaps. The question is: is it worth it to fix it? If you have all your data already backed up, you may find a fresh install to be the best course of action.

#3 metspiction

metspiction
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:56 PM

That is what I was thinking. I reinstalled Windows XP, and some programs would open, but many gave error messages that they had to be reinstalled. It probably isn't worth it to try and figure out how to fix the old version, so I think I'm going to just start over, 100% fresh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users