Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Desktop Crashing -- Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PDK999

PDK999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I need help alright! I decided to purchase state of the art components for my son for his Birthday. Got it from Newegg and sent the stuff to a guy who has built many gaming systems. But we had problems right off the bat and the thing has never worked properly. It keeps hard crashing or getting a blue screen and sometimes it powers on and then doesn't even boot up so it is like the power is on but it never boots. So we don't think it is a heat problem because of this and also the bios and the temp gauge off the MB state that the system is in the norm. So I'll give you the components, which totaled $3600 to see if you brainiacs can help out us non-techie types! The MB is: ASUS MAXIMUS EXTREME X38 775 R; memory is: CPU: CPU INTEL|C2E QX9650 3G 45N 12M R; MEM 1Gx2|CORS TWIN3X2048-1800C7DF R; Vid: VGA DIAMOND 2900XT1GPE R (2 of them linked via crossfire bridge interconnect); the power supply is: CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1000watt Power (not 100% sure this is the right brand but I'll check with my son, but it is a 1000 watts). I'll also have to find out which HD it is but I am pretty sure it is a: WD Raptor 150 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD1500ADFD ). This thing has a ton of fans including a larger on top. So here is the deal, my son isn't very technical and he already spent several hundred dollars at a local repair shop only to be told they don't know what the problem is but they suspect it is the power supply. My guess is that the power supply needs to be calibrated to the motherboard and memory but I'm guessing! We tried over clocking the memory and not over clocking. So my son is to the point where he wants to sell off the parts and buy a pre-built one... That is going to break my heart since I paid soo much for this stuff... So I either need someone who can guide my son through some ideas or someone who is willing to let me hire you to let me ship you the pc and work on it. Of course I'll need more data from you before I do that as you might imagine! But I am will to hire someone to help us out if that is what it takes. I'm desperate!!
Please help this poor dad out before his son refuses his calls! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

Never heard of calibrating a power supply, it either puts out the specified voltage or it doesn't. I would remove all of the components and start with the basics, Motherboard, CPU/heatsink, one stick of memory, and one video card. If it boots and you hear a post beep, keep adding things back one at a time
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

Can you give us any information on the blue screen? If you can get it to boot, check out the event viewer in the administration tools and see what kind of warnings or errors are given.
Do you get any error messages when it does not boot? Any beep tones?
Do you know if they tested the power supply?
Your power supply has a Power Failure Detector will light up when Over-Voltage, Under-Voltage, Over-Temperature, Over-Current, Over-Loading, and Short circuit occur , have you observed this?

Edited by Crizz44, 09 May 2008 - 10:54 PM.

#4 PDK999

PDK999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:27 AM

That is good advice and I will pass it along, I'm just afraid he is so tired of messing with it that he won't want to bother. I wish he would break down and read the manuals but he didn't want to go through all of this, just wanted to kick butt in WOW, etc lol. Oh well, guess that is what I get for trying to beat the curve on gaming systems. I read one blog about controlling the voltage going to the motherboard and and memory but I am assuming that isn't from the power supply but is from the bios or something like that?? I'm wondering if there is anyway to check that the power supply is ok. I bought it brand new so it should be but who knows. Anyway, thanks for the tip and I'll keep digging on this. He lives in Tx and I new live in Tn so otherwise I would take it myself and do this as it sounds like good advice. I do know that the service center he took it to said that they did all kinds of things like even putting different memory and graphics cards in and the system was still crashing. I guess that is why they thought it might be the power supply. I'm just hoping there isn't a problem with the MB... As many times as we had to take it out and put it back in,,, well you never know... The guy that helped up build this is very experienced and he couldn't figure it out either.. His last suggestion was to go back to 32 bit instead of 64 but the system is crashing sometimes before the OS even kicks in so I don't think that is the issue. I wish I knew of a really good repair shop I can send it to..

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

I wish he would break down and read the manuals but he didn't want to go through all of this,

A sure sign for disaster

I read one blog about controlling the voltage going to the motherboard and and memory but I am assuming that isn't from the power supply but is from the bios or something like that??

It's called overclocking and yes, it's through the BIOS
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:12 AM

I was reading on the Asus forums. Seems like this problem is not uncommon. Do you know the BIOS version?
There are pages of suggestions and BIOS settings that may be of some help to get the system stable, here is the link in hopes you may find a solution:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showth...923&page=21

#7 PDK999

PDK999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

I got my son to answer some of your questions! I also sent a message to ASUS for support and to a gaming shop in Tx called WidowX who I am hoping will take the thing and fix it. We will see!

The blue screen says "Physical Memory Dump". A few snips from the event viewer in admin tools:

The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.

The previous system shutdown at 6:35:58 PM on 5/9/2008 was unexpected. (many of these)

Faulting application fallout2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x3671bf22, faulting module fallout2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x3671bf22, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000197af, process id 0xd6c, application start time 0x01c89a31cc00d339.

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

The COM+ Event System could not remove the EventSystem.EventSubscription object {CEB8B221-89C5-41A8-98CE-79B413BF150B}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The HRESULT was 80070005.

When the PC doesn't boot, there are no beeps, messages or tones. It simply powers up, acts like it's working for a couple seconds, and then goes inactive with a black screen with the power still running. It doesn't get to the "Republic of Gamers" BIOS start-up screen when it does this.

The service shop I took the PC to did not have the right kind of power supply to test it with my current graphic cards, so they were unable to test it. However, their guess is that the power supply could be the problem, or it could be a combination of the graphic cards + power supply.

I haven't observed the Power Failure Detector. The lights on the motherboard are always green.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users