Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single Button Subscription

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

I was wondering which method people prefer subscribing to a topic. Do the Admins have any idea which method people normally go for? I use 'No E-mail Notification' most of the time. By 'most' I mean, something like 99% of the time, and I suspect significant number of people subscribe via this method.

Anyway, I thought it would be better if subscribing was made slightly easier.

Rather than clicking on Options --> Track this topic --> (selecting method of subscription) --> Proceed... and then press 3 or 4 times the back button to go to the forums etc, how about a 'single button click' somewhere, which subscribes you to the topic via your preferred (default) method. Wouldn't that be easier?

Is it possible? Is it something practical?

Thanks for the time...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

Yes it is actually possible to do what you are suggesting :thumbsup:

In a thread/post just underneath the Add Reply and New Topic buttons you will find a drop down button called Options. Choose Track this topic.You will get re-directed to a page asking what type of notification you want (Delayed Instant etc.) and once you choose it is will say thank you and re-direct you back to the topic.

Is this what you were looking for?

David

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

Even easier is to go into your My Controls link, Scroll down to Email settings on the left navigation menu, put a checkmark next to Enable 'Email Notification' by default? and set the notification type to immediate.

That way by default you subscribe to all topics you post to.

#4 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the response.

I already have 'No E-mail Notification' selected in the 'My Controls' section. But that would subscribe you only if you post a reply to the topic. What I was talking about was subscribing to a topic which you have not posted to but would like to follow it.

Is this the only way to do it: Options --> Track this topic --> (selecting method of subscription) --> Proceed...? Could it be simplified? Maybe a button somewhere you just click it, and that's it... you're subscribed to your preferred method (without having to post a reply).

I hope I've explained well what I'm talking about!

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

Unfortunately, the way it is, is the only way at this time.

#6 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

No problem.

Hopefully it'll be something to consider another time... or maybe not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users