Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Lcd Screen Went Very Dark And Won't Come Back

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sweeney.172

sweeney.172

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hello all-

The other day I was sitting next to my computer doing homework and all of a sudden the screen went all black. I powered down and restart and nothing different happened. When I looked really closely I noticed that the picture was up on the screen, it was just very very dark. It seems like a backlight is out. Does that make sense? I've hooked the laptop up to an external monitor and everything works fine on the new monitor. I've recently replaced this LCD screen. I'm running Windows 64XP on an Acer Ferrari 4000 series laptop. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Definitely a backlight problem. Check the voltage and look for crimped wires
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sweeney.172

sweeney.172
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

How do I check the voltage to the back-light specifically? I have access to a multimeter but I'm not sure where to bridge. I know it would be hard to describe things relating to my specific screen but is there a general layout once I open the case? Any information would be helpful. I'm somewhat computer literate and I have a Mechanical Engineering degree, so please don't hold back with technical terms. As of right now though, all I know is there is a backlight and an inverter in monitors but I'm really not sure what they do, what they look like, or how to fix them. Thank you all.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:00 AM

Best place would be where the wires connect to the system board and start tracing it back from there
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 sweeney.172

sweeney.172
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

Hello all-

I have been talking to some other people about my problem and they mentioned that there are three possibilities: It could be the inverter, backlight, or problems in the motherboard. I recently purchased a new LCD screen so I don't think it is the backlight. I haven't experienced any other problems with the computer so I don't think it is the motherboard. All signs point to the inverter (which people tell me is the most common), but I was wondering if there is any way to know for sure without using the multimeter approach? Are there any telltale signs or symptoms for each problem that will give me a definite answer before I purchase an inverter? Thanks for all the help

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Other than guessing and assuming, the only definite answer is to use a voltmeter and trace the circuit
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users