Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

First of all, i got this computer: Compaq Presario, sr2020nx. As you can tell, I am having a problem with it. It seems that my ASUS mobo has not been made by asus; i.e. its not on their site. The bios tells me that the mobo is a "6/30/06-C51-MCP51-A8M2N-LA-00" or in compaq words "Naos-GL6"

Posted Image

My bios is:
Phoenix - AwardBIOS 6.00PG
Copyright 2006 Hewlett-Packard
Revision 3.00 06-30-2006
Core 6.0

My video bios says
CrushBoard C51 PVG0
but its a
GeForce 6150LE

All I really know about the mobo is:
Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE - Nforce 430/410

Here's what Compaq/HP says

I went to ASUS and typed in my serial #, guess what its invalid... :thumbsup:

Here's the problem

I hit F1 at boot, i dont get to play with the good stuff.
I hit F11 at boot, i get an extended version of the bios with 4 more options, but still no good stuff.

I want to unlock the ram(its stuck at 446 Megs, i have 512 Installed,) I wanna unlock the full potential of the processor, and the onboard video.

I helped my friend flash his bios, and afterwards, xp noticed a whole plethora of new devices... I want this to happen for me, as i know i am not getting the most out of my mobo.

sidenote - i downloaded this and have not tried it yet, as I am unsure whether or not it will work on my MOBO, but if anyone can unlock my current bios (if you can find it) i would be very grateful!

Someone help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

Asus won't support the board because it was made for Compaq.
Award/Phoenix do not support or supply upgrades for ANY of their chips. The chips is made per the motherboard maker's specs. Most computer manufacturers make it so you cannot alter or overclock settings. They do offer BIOS upgrades when the need arises
If you attempt to flash a BIOS or video chip and you are not 100 percent cent it is for your EXACT model, you have a good chance of turning your computer into a doorstop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

ok so will the bios from this board work in this board?

if so, cool, if not, why not?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

As you can tell, I am having a problem with it.
Here's the problem
I hit F1 at boot, i dont get to play with the good stuff.
I hit F11 at boot, i get an extended version of the bios with 4 more options, but still no good stuff.

There's unlikely to be any "good stuff" to get...

A Compaq isn't a system to look at hotrodding. A board is specified to the cent for the model of system it's to go into, and Compaq tailor their own BIOS to exactly match. That's why the actual manufacturer of the board does not provide any update (or any backup at all).

My video bios says

CrushBoard C51 PVG0
but its a
GeForce 6150LE

sidenote - i downloaded this and have not tried it yet, as I am unsure whether or not it will work on my MOBO, but if anyone can unlock my current bios (if you can find it) i would be very grateful!

The download is an update for the Video BIOS (the BIOS in the video chipset), but it's a very small incremental update, to version 5.51.28.50. The site doesn't even list anything it fixes, so there's no way to be sure if it addresses any issue that may affect you. It certainly isn't going to make any significant difference to the capabilities of the onboard video.

I want to unlock the ram(its stuck at 446 Megs, i have 512 Installed,) I wanna unlock the full potential of the processor, and the onboard video.

64M of RAM is being used by the onboard video, there's nothing you can do about that except fit more RAM, or install a decent video card. With 1GB of RAM, the onboard video could be allocated the maximum 256M it can use - but it would still have the very limited performance of onboard video.

Really the only way to give that system a performance kick is to fit a respectable PCIe x16 video card, and probably bump up the memory, although adding just the video card would release all of the 512M RAM for system use.

ok so will the bios from this board work in this board?

if so, cool, if not, why not?

Only HP Compaq (or someone who has already tried that exact substitution) would know for sure. But since the only obvious differences between the boards is the first has physical provisions yours lacks (e.g. two extra memory slots and two extra SATA channels), it seems likely any difference in its BIOS would be to accommodate features your board simply does not have.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users