Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Stopped Working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeeberz

Jeeberz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

I have a Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS.

Recently I found my old webcam to my old computer, but I didn't have the old disk for it. So, in order to make it work, I downloaded a driver for the webcam online. After it installed, I went to use it on MSN messenger and it worked fine. But then, I remember it asking me something about a microphone option, which I don't have. Ever since then, the sound on my computer does not work AT ALL (this lead me to believe my computer might still think there is a microphone plugged in but it can't find it). I went into my Audio adjust options and tested the speakers and the Realtek sound driver. The speakers test worked, but the Realtek didn't (the bars move and everything when I play music, but nothing comes out of the speakers). Even whenever I restart my computer, the log in sound is not there. I have done everything I can think of and it still won't work. I even deleted the webcam driver I downloaded and have messed with the audio options. Nothing.

Please help. I've asked other tech forums and have gotten no replies.

Edited by Jeeberz, 09 May 2008 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

Have you checked that there are no conflicts with devices in the device manager? Did you try and un-install the device and then re-boot and let Windows find it? Did you roll back or update drivers for the device? Did you go to the manufacturer's website and download the correct driver for your device? Have you tried to do a system restore to a point before this happened to see if it would fix the problem?
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Jeeberz

Jeeberz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

Have you checked that there are no conflicts with devices in the device manager? Did you try and un-install the device and then re-boot and let Windows find it? Did you roll back or update drivers for the device? Did you go to the manufacturer's website and download the correct driver for your device? Have you tried to do a system restore to a point before this happened to see if it would fix the problem?

I checked the device manager and there were no errors or alerts. I thought about uninstalling the driver but wasn't sure Vista did the same thing with that that XP did. Should I just delete the driver and reboot?

I'm not sure how to do a system restore either.

#4 Jeeberz

Jeeberz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:07 PM

I went ahead and deleted the device and rebooted. It worked. I just wasn't sure if it would have the same reaction as XP. Thanks. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users