Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu @ 100%

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DamCar

DamCar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

Hi,
For the past two weeks I have been having trouble with Internet Explorer 7. Very slow and sometimes blocking. Today it has been impossible and I found the CPU running at 100%. The "problem" was a svchost.exe at 100%. I tried a System Restore, no change. I run a Virus scan (CA Etrust 2008), nothing. Antispyware (CA Etrust 2008) nothing. Spybot and Ad-Aware2007 found nothing neither. In then unloaded IE7 (going back to IE6) and now as soon as I boot the computer svchost.exe is at 100%. Impossible to reload IE7. I'm at present runing a Kaspersky Online scan, but nothing found yet (will update this post if something found). So... I don't think it is a Virus/Malware/Trojan. But what is it? ? ? Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

Malware is not the only reason that your computer operates slowly...Consider other factors such as the amount of free space on your drive...How often do you De-Fragment your drive? Do you have more than one anti-virus application running at the same time? Do you have more than one firewall running at the same time?

It could possibly be malware that the programs that you are using do not detect. If this continues, I would suggest posting a new topic in the "Am I infected, What do I do now?" thread in the security section of this forum. They are more qualified to help you diagnose malware problems. You may also be directed to post in another of the securty threads such as HighJackThis so be patient and follow their suggestions...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

Download this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx
Then, once it's running, hover your cursor over the offending svchost.exe process.
You'll see a list of programs that are running "inside" of it - please let us know what they are and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DamCar

DamCar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

thanks usasma,
Since posting I found it was the Windows Automatic Update causing the problem. I was able to get around it by turning OFF the auto update and downloading from the site. I have downloaded the tool you suggested and next time it blocks i'll try it!
thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users