Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove MS JVM tutorial

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crunchy139

crunchy139

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

Attempted removal in ME, encountered the following:
c:\windows\inf\java.pnf not there (didn't think to search elsewhere for it)
wjview.exe and jview.exe NOT located in windows\system folder but windows\
When I deleted them anyway, they re-appeared (did see in recycle bin also)

Removing JVM due to Java.ByteVerify!exploit and Java.Shinwow.AM trojans in my .jpi_cache. E-Trust says they are still there so I guess MS JVM still there. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:12 PM

You did : RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall

?

#3 crunchy139

crunchy139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:03 AM

Yes, followed tutorial to the letter. I have more problems than this one so I am reinstalling the (p)os.

For the record-
jview as command indicates I have 3810 which should cure my trojan problem but didn't. Downloaded a self standing update to that version just to make sure - still no luck. I cannot view url's - only IP's because I need to restack tcp/ip but couldn't find os cd to do so (have since found recovery discs that I will use to reformat hd) so tried to address MS JVM issue first. I've always used Spybot S&D, adaware, cwshredder, spyblaster, EZ-Armor. Someone suggested trendmicro but had missing file issues twice. Submitted HijackThis log but no responses except for one regarding NAV remnants. I'm not very computer literate and have learned a lot researching my problems but wiping the slate clean and starting over will bring me great joy!

I have learned that a clean install may not provide enough drivers. Do you agree with that and what can I do about it? Also, should I run to ms.com and dowload all critical updates? Thank you Grinler-san

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:47 PM

Always install the updates. But if you are going to reformat, i would just follow the tutorial again right after you reformat.

#5 crunchy139

crunchy139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:48 AM

reformat went like butta. When I upgraded Netscape browser it came with optional Sun Java, which I installed. I never use IE (will go to Firefox eventually) so do I still have to worry about MS JVM? I am somewhat uncomfortable at the thought that it didn't go smoothly the first time. Thanks

PS. I forgot to mention that I also tried lspfix for internet connection issue

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

I would still remove the MS JVM if you can. What OS are you using?

#7 crunchy139

crunchy139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:56 AM

I'm ME. The only thing that worries me is a half-uninstalled program.

I guess java is not like a browser that you can declare as default?

Since you're here, I've heard that Windows Media Player 9 is a bad thing (though always worked well for me) and since I've reformatted, I'm back to 7. Should I upgrade to 9 or is there a better product out there.

Thank you for your continued assistance!

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:24 AM

You can upgrade .. just make sure you have all the security patches.

I would attempt to remove the jvm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users