Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Users Infected By Trojan Adware Mp3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hundreds of thousands of McAfee users have recently reported fake MP3 files containing adware...It seems that adware pushers have found a new way to trick you into downloading their annoying products: fake MP3 files...McAfee reported that it's seen a huge spike in fake MP3 files spreading on peer-to-peer networks. Although the files have names that make them look like audio recordings, they're really Trojan horse programs that try to install a shoddy media player and adware on your computer..

pcadvisor.co.uk
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

People thought I was crazy when I said this was soon coming our way.. WHO'S CRAZY NOW! :thumbsup:

This definitly isn't a DRM issue *cough flawwithwindows cough* as there is no way an MP3 file can be copy protected. Same with M4A files.
I see how this is most probably done though. Any file extention can be changed. Therefore these fake MP3's are obviously .EXE files that have been changed which is what prompts users to download this "player"

My advice to anyone who uses P2P filesharing is for them to BLOCK THE HOST! It is so simple; and its the only way to stop it spreading.

I bid you goodnight :flowers:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

This is why it should be mandated that people take computer classes. This especially applies to older folks who did not grow up with computers in their lives. It seems to me that those who are naive to the power of programs on computers are more at risk than anyone else. Thes eprograms should be funded by the state, since this is a matter of well-being, I think.
Computers, ultimately, are slaves: they do nothing that they are told not to do and do everything they are told to do. It is amazing how easily it is to allow this slave to submiss to something unwanted and become uncontrollable.

Here are some pointers about computer security for people who do not know as much about computers are, maybe, younger people or computer technicians or those who have ample knowledge of computers:
-DO NOT execute any program that was not meant to be executed, i.e., do not double-click a program that is not the intended one to operate. Also, the program should be verified before double-slicking even if it is one that was meant to be downloaded. Even trusted sites, now, can obtain corrupted files and send them to users.
-DO scan all files downloaded from the internet with an AV program, Malware program, and other computer security programs before opening the file, even if it is a picture. As a preventative rule: it is better to be safe than sorry.
-DO NOT download from unknown sites or users on p2p networks that are questionable. With the latter example, it may not be easy to verify a user on a p2p network. However, caution should still be exhibited when encountering unknown sources for files. If not anything else, SCAN the files that are downloaded before opening, just to make sure.
-DO NOT click on any links that are unsolicitated or are suspicious. Anything of the sort can potentially be hazardous to a computer. Caution should always be taken online to only execute operations that are meant to be done. However, even these should be monitored and taken with a grain of salt, since the threat of security breach even in trusted zones is higher than it used to be.

This is only four rules, which is not very comprehensive for full computer and internet security. However, these four rules are applicable and are some of the most basic. I am not here to instruct on what people should do online; rather, I'd like to prevent harm to others, as it is not an enjoyable experience.

-Hammy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users