Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lightweight/lowlevel Moderators

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hi :thumbsup:

I came up with an idea to have lightweight moderators. Bascially they have limited moderator powers. All they can do is Move/Close topics and do minor edits in posts. Mainly due to the fact that sometimes we have no moderators on and we need HJT/Combofix logs to be attended to in the XP or other forums. They can't see the special moderator forums either because they are not there for that. They are just there to Move or Close topics and the edit option is only to be used for minor things like double postings. We could have the group colour as orange (As it is availible due to the revamping of HJT here at BC) and the group could be called Lightweight Moderator or Lowlevel Moderator or somethign like that. Now, as we gain even more new memebrs, more HJT logs are posted and some problems are in the wrong forums and it would be good if this is in place as it will help more :flowers:

Just another idea to help out here at BC :trumpet:

What do you think admin? Worth trying atleast :inlove: ?

David

Edited by david28, 09 May 2008 - 07:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:52 AM

I think its a fantastic idea. I mean we don't have mods online all the time but we certantly always have experienced users online.

This will help the person who has misplaced their post too. It will get moved to the appropriate section faster and they will get the help they need faster.

Once again; another genious idea Dave :thumbsup: :flowers:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:20 AM

Sounds like an ok idea. Not sure how that will work though.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#4 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:22 AM

without being rude or anything, but you will never have it so that a moderator is online whenever you are visiting the boards. The threads for posting links have been made just for such cases and I believe if you are in dire need of some help and given how busy the forums are everywhere these days - a few hours of waiting will be just fine. Just my 2 cents.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#5 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Good point Yourhighness
Posted Image

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

without being rude or anything, but you will never have it so that a moderator is online whenever you are visiting the boards. The threads for posting links have been made just for such cases and I believe if you are in dire need of some help and given how busy the forums are everywhere these days - a few hours of waiting will be just fine. Just my 2 cents.

Ofcourse I am aware of this :thumbsup:

By having these Lightweight Moderators we can help this.

#7 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

^ Which is what I meant :thumbsup:

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

Yes :thumbsup: I mean it isn't vital to have this - But at the same time, it is a good idea and better to have more people who are able to be cleaning up BC when there are no mods present.

Just remember it is up to the admin to decide - I just put forth the ideas and they decide wheather it will work or if it is worth of usign or trying :flowers:

David

Edited by david28, 09 May 2008 - 08:11 AM.

#9 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

I concur.

All up to you guys Admin :thumbsup:

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

Remembering that it is in the nature of a forum that immediate responses to posts are the exception and not the rule, and remembering also that there will be times when a Moderator is not on-line, BC has recently created several forums (for misplaced logs, for "tidyness") that, in effect,to allow interested Members to be MiniMods, but without the title. Their "extra eyes" and help in maintaining some sort of order in the many forums here has been extremely helpful, and as "stake-holders" they add daily to the quality of the site through the processes we now have in place.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:17 AM

Good point. It still wasn't a bad idea though :thumbsup:

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

Well yeah I guess your right but in midn I ahd an idea pretty much similiar to this.

We should allow the HJT Team memebrs to be able to move logs. Generally whenever I see no moderators on, there will always be atleast one member of the HJT Team. Maybe they should have privalges to be able to move logs?

David

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

By and large HJT Team members do not venture outside of the HJT Forums. They are generally unaware that a 'misplaced log' exists. To add to that, it is not the function of HJT Team members to be working the General Forums doing moderator duties. HJT Team members have spent many many hours learning to battle malware. There are more than enough logs for them to work on. If one happens to stay misplaced for a few hours it will not have a detrimental impact on their workload.

As jgweed has said, forums are by their nature not an 'immediate response' medium. So bear with us and understand we have the staff in place to manage quite well. Thank you for your input.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

Well yeah I guess your right but in midn I ahd an idea pretty much similiar to this.

We should allow the HJT Team memebrs to be able to move logs. Generally whenever I see no moderators on, there will always be atleast one member of the HJT Team. Maybe they should have privalges to be able to move logs?

David

The HJT members have enough to do let alone policing the forums
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

I understand what david28 is saying, but I agree with garmanma and Animal as well.
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users