Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Flashes After Some Time Of Running

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Indiana

Indiana

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:11 AM

have a problem with my desktop, PackardBell IMEDIA MCE H6780
My two screens flashes a fast black screen flash, after the computer has been running a while.
My suspecion is that it happens, when the computer is getting hot.
Whit the suspecion of overheating and dust problems, I have made a total clean inside, with the tutorial help of the guide of bleepingcomputer.com, and even paid extra attention to the grafiks card. But the problem still occur.
I have checked all the fans - they are runnnig. All though there is more fan noice when the computer is booting up (like one fan is spinning really fast), but as I remember it has always been like this. I was just wondering, if this fan "overdrive" shouldn't happen as well, if the computer is getting hot?

The black screen flash happens in different ways, after approx 30 min of running:
- at application start, or when I press 'save' in an application like Word or Exel = between 1-2 flashes, and then back to normal.
- suddenly beetween 1-5 flashes, and then back to normal.
- continuos flashing, where only a 'Stand By' or 'Shut down' and wait for some minutes can help.
- beetween 1-2 flashes, and then back to normal, but coming back for every 1-5 minutes.

Please Help, what is wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:18 AM

You should switch the video card out with another that you know is good. That should eliminate the video card, if it still happens.

DR

#3 Indiana

Indiana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

I have narrowed the problem down even further.

Problems only occur when I use a screen plugged in to the DVI output.
I use an adapter, cause I only have VGA screen inputs.

The problems can be, black screen flashes, as described abowe, OR
Constantly hanging screen, like the mouse cursor is breaking and jumping all the time, and video play back does the same.
The funny thing is, that it is happening on both screens when in two screen mode? (but not when I plug in only one screen in the VGA plug)

I have up dated the screen drivers, and application from the ATI homepage, to try and solve the problem,
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...mce/radeonx-mce
But this only gave the additional break-jump problem.

I don't have any extra video card, with more than one output, to try out another video card.

Can I be sure that the video card is broken, or could it be fixed with other drivers or changing settings somewhere?

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hmm, sounds like something is happening within the DVI section of the PCcard.

I would try a different adaptor (From DVI to VGA). You never know, I have seen a bunch of different ypes.

It really sounds "Board related". Does the board have its own power input?

I would also try and contact someone in the ATI support. They might have seen the same issue many times. I know sometimes they don't answer but I would continue to write until someone woke up.

Good luck.

DR

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

So what ATI card/chip is actually installed...that doesn't allow for DVI output?

You say that you are using an adapter...an adapter provided by ATI or whom? This adapter seems to me to be the weak link.

Any mention of related errors in Event Viewer? No obvious issues when checking Device Manager?

Thanks.

Louis

#6 Indiana

Indiana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:11 PM

System Specs:
PackardBell IMEDIA MCE H6780
ATI Radeon X700 SE graphics Card (512 MB DDR, CTR / TV-Out / DVI-I) (with driver updates from PackardBell homepage, and later from ATI homepage: ATI Catalyst 8.4 Display Driver for Windows XP Media Center Edition)
Sunshine DDR2 (GA-8I915PMD) Ver 0.1
Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition (updated via windows update to SP2)

The DVI to VGA concerter has been working with that screen for 3 years prior to this problem, and I have tried another of the same kind.

The Video Card does not have it's own power input.

Do you think it is Motherboard related, and was your question if the Motherboard has it's own power input?

Edited by Indiana, 12 May 2008 - 03:15 PM.

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

Do you think it is Motherboard related, and was your question if the Motherboard has it's own power input?

No, I was asking if the video card had its own. Some of the high-end cards have need for a lot of power.

If it was a motherboard issue, it would be related to the Northbridge chip. That same chip also works directly with the memory and CPU. Therefore, if it was the Northbridge Chip, you should see more problems.

(Just an FYI. The Southbridge chip takes care of most everything else. Disks, PCI slots, Audio, etc.)

You could try installing the card in a different computer. See if the problem follows the card.

As you got at least 3 years out of it, it might just be time for a new card. They are supposed to last "almost" forever but there are a lot of variables to a long life when speaking of electronics.

I can't think of any more tests you could perform but maybe someone else here would?

Good luck.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 12 May 2008 - 05:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users