Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Denied

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 qwid

qwid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:53 AM

Hello.

Im running XP pro and had a major malware/virus problem 12months ago and Ive felt things have never really been the same since. I got a flashdisk virus from a university computer which copied itself to all my flash drives at home and almost infected my entire household :| (it got my ipod too!).

Anyway, Im having problems again. This time my Programs Files folder is being protected by something. It says Access Denied whenever I try to move/rename/delete files within the program files folder, and its stopping several programs from accessin their config files when they load.

Im 90% certain it's only Program Files (my HD is partitioned, C:/Program Files has no problems, E:/Program Files is where the problem is), and all other files I've tried have no problems.

In safe mode there are no problems. Ive scanned with Norton, AVG, SUPERAntiSpyware, and from my basic understanding nothing from a HIJACKTHIS log gives any indication why this is happening.

Im a little lost what to do now...I could use a clean wipe but thats a lot of effort if its something minor.

This only started a few days ago and I don't remember anything specific happening on that day. I don't have system restore on as it was the major cause of my previous virus problems.

Any help or information to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Ben.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:31 AM

Have you tried this?

"How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP". For a tutorial with screenshots, see "Windows File and Folder Ownership".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 qwid

qwid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

I followed that tutorial and when I clicked OK on the final stage it came up with the errors

"An Error occurred applying security information to *file*, Access is denied"

and "Unable to set new owner on Program Files. Access is denied."

Im certain its not a case of privelages or ownership. Something is stopping me from accessing these files but I can't find what it is. As stated above files can be edited fine when in safe mode.

#4 qwid

qwid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:18 AM

Is there anything else I should be trying...?

Otherwise I'm just going to format and start over.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

I read this thread earlier and 2 things came to mind, unfortunately I didn't think they were sure bets, but before you reformat
your system partition would you give them a try, especially since the E drive is the problem not C.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=798468

run this tool and let's see if it does anything for E

also use it for any usb drives

next install and update this program

I do not want a quick scan tho

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry811062

after the program is installed and updated just right click on E and scan with MBAM

Edited by DaChew, 11 May 2008 - 07:11 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 qwid

qwid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:36 PM

All scans have come back negative with any infections. I used the flash disinfector the last time I got a virus which was one specific to my flash drives.

When I ran it again the problem was not fixed. All files are still coming up with "Access Denied", "Check to make sure disk is not full or write protected"

When I get home from work I'll run the scan again in safemode but I doubt anything will come up.

#7 qwid

qwid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE.Z-missing.txt (Heuristics.Reserved.Word.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

^

That was the only thing that came up on a full system scan in safe mode. Nothing has changed.

I can open files. But a number programs cant access files that they need like config files, and the only way to edit files/folders in anyway is to use unlocker or be in safe mode. Switching to Administrator doesn't help, using my account works in safe mode.

Im all out of ideas so Im going to format and reinstall windows tomorrow unless you get a brainwave for an idea.

Thank you both for your help. Must appreciate the effort.

Cheers.

Ben.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users