Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solving Virus Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 davehc

davehc

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

I am new to the site. I have noticed that, in excess of other similar sites, new posts mainly consists of threads in the Hi-Jack forum.
When I had a look through these, it could be seen that the minimum for solving a problem was about 5 days, many went on for weeks!
It makes one wonder if the problem is being dealt with in the most efficient way.
I keep a regular image of my OS. When I install or experiment with new programs, I first back up with another image.
If I ever have a rare malfunction, or suspect spyware or virus infiltration, I put my best image back on. With Acronis, for example, this takes 20 minutes.
It makes me wonder why posters have the patience to exchange those questions and answers to get rid of a virus.
Do any readers, who may have been through the experience, have any explanation to enlighten me?

Edited by davehc, 08 May 2008 - 11:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:37 PM

Because some people can't see the froest for the trees? :thumbsup:

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:57 AM

:thumbsup:

Well, firstly I wouldn't complain about that.

The HJT Team are extremely busy people and are trying to help as many people as possible as quick as they can. Malware is becoming more common and more HijackThis logs are being posted here. BC at the moment have a giant backlog of logs so it may take some time before replies are made.

Secondly, the HJT Team DO NOT get payed for this job. They are everyday citizens giving up their time to help people with their malware issues. It is volunteer work.

Be glad and grateful and appreciate these people who give up their time to help you :flowers:

David

Edited by TMacK, 09 May 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

Hey davehc :thumbsup:

It is very important for you to know that the majority of people who visit this website are after help with malware issues. BC is very well known to have one of the best HJT teams but they have lives away from their pc.
I am currently studying malware removal at geeks to go. Because I have other commitments (like school and work) i am yet to finish lower class and i've been there for 5 months..

I do value and respect your opinion. But like I said, these people have lives. They do not get paid to do this :flowers:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#5 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

Before I ever discovered this site, I only had one way to deal with possible or real infections. I would study the problem, learn about the problem, and then fix the problem. Perhaps that is an option some people may want to consider. A lot of the time the problem turned out to be Micro$ofts fine operating system. :thumbsup:

Edited by MattV, 09 May 2008 - 09:51 AM.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

If I ever have a rare malfunction, or suspect spyware or virus infiltration, I put my best image back on. With Acronis, for example, this takes 20 minutes.
It makes me wonder why posters have the patience to exchange those questions and answers to get rid of a virus.
Do any readers, who may have been through the experience, have any explanation to enlighten me?

AN explanation maybe.....

each of us runs our computers in our own way...with our own chosen protection programs...or NONE as the case may be

you may assume that others have the same perspective on computering as you do?

I am afraid they dont

many think it the 'done thing' TO post an HJT log ....this only clogs up the forum; far better to post a 'normal' thread and give the symptoms then let folks suggest specific scans to be run to flag up the infection and give an idea of what is needed to cure it ...many a time a problem does NOT need an HJT log ..BUT

if members post one straight away they 'miss' the opprotunity to have their problem looked at in a simpler way as their thread HAS to be transfered to the HJT section to preserve the integrity OF responses TO the HJT threads

and as teenage Zombie points out... ALL help on ANY section of the forum is voluntary

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

I won't name names, I will just give you an example.
Back up images are nice...even great - Especially in a data center
where servers need to be brought online very quickly.

Now imagine if you will a 'tainted' image that slipped by. Thought to
be clean by everyone who looked at it. Follow along now...this is where it gets good.

Use the 'tainted' image to reload somewhere in the area of 20-30 Thousand servers.

When someone requests help it's after the infection has already happened.
A lot of users don't know about imaging software. Some users do not know how
to perform a backup and restore. The majority check email, surf the web and play games.

That is why we volunteer our time and knowledge to help. We also work full time jobs so
sometimes the help is slow coming, but we try to get to everyone.

Maybe you could do a write up on disk imaging and backups and submit it to the 'Tips and Tricks' thread. :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 davehc

davehc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

Hmm. Seems my post was read as a complaint. It was just a straightforward observation, for which I felt there was possibly a very simple explanation.
I didn't seem to get one. In fact, I felt under attack! "So, instead of complaining and being picky and ungrateful, be glad and grateful and appreciate these people who give up their time to help you "
However, I respect the views of the older members. Because of the direction of the site, it offers little of interest to me so I guess I will take the alternative of quitting again.

#9 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:16 PM

Hmm. Seems my post was read as a complaint. It was just a straightforward observation, for which I felt there was possibly a very simple explanation.

Your post said that you'd never need to use the services offered, so I have to question your motivation for commenting on them in the first place. Seems like no more than an attempt to stir up trouble, to me.

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

Hi davehc,

I'm not sure that I understand the purpose of your question.
Hopefully a member will post a reply to your topic, who have not backed up their OS before becoming infected.
Most users only set a out a good back up plan after it's too late.

Our members rely on the abilities of BCs Malware Removal Team to clean their system, and so far as I can see, are very gracious.
No matter how long the process takes.

Insulting comments are not tolerated on this forum and some advise could have given in a less condescending manner.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

More advanced users image, some don't, yes the disinfection process online takes forever, many people save their data who otherwise would lose everything even after paying a hundred or two hundred dollars to get their computer reloaded.

Many learn a lesson when they are here about security and safe computing

Imaging and clean install is easy but not near as much fun as beating a bad infection.

I got a very bad one recently from a clients computer and a usb drive, it only took a couple of hours to kill it and that was fixing another computer at the same time

Images are fine when they work, when they don't, it's a disaster
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

Well wouldn't you rather have a professional that you can actually see what they have done (By looking at the amount of logs they have solved and their ability to do so), than paying a computer store $200+ for virus removal?

Also, if someones computer is clean and they think they are infected, it only takes one reply to say your computer is clean instead of unplugging your PC taking it in paying a load of money replugging your PC back in.

It all adds up.

#13 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:07 AM

Imaging and clean install is easy but not near as much fun as beating a bad infection.

Quite true. :thumbsup:

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:52 AM

It's all a matter of personal preference.
I've got friends who will fight a virus/OS issue for the rest of their lives,
and I've got other friends who won't even try to repair - they just re-image whenever they suspect a problem.

For me, I just reinstall or re-image - but I do most of my testing in a Virtual Machine, sparing the main system from the issues that would otherwise plague me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

I like the business clients that send their bookkeeper over with her computer and she wants me to remove the infection while she waits so she can write checks, image? sure thing

not an option

patch it back together and get it back on line in a day and give a stern lecture about backing up their quickbooks/whatever

I can't even get them to run disk cleanup and defrag
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users