Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Can I Find My Router's Dns Server?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 J-son

J-son

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:56 PM

Does anybody know why my router doesn't display any DNS servers? When I go to the router homepage (linksys) it says Static DNS 1, static dns 2 and static dns 3. They are all set a 0.0.0.0

Am I looking in the wrong spot?

All my computers have internet except my one desktop with vista. Its telling me "cannong communicate with primary DNS server (xx.xx.xx.xxx)"

atm the desktop is on a static ip, although I get the same results when its not. It has an excellent signal strength, 95%, but no internet. I can't fix this problem for the life of me.

it doesn't make any sense.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

0.0.0.0 implies lost connection. Quite possibly a bad signal. Who is your ISP?

The router should get the DNS servers that your ISP provider is using. Reconnecting might help - look on the Linksys Status tab, there's a Disconnect button. Use it then use the Connect button. It should bring back the DNS servers.

If that fails, perhaps forcing static DNSs on the front page of the router to OpenDNS will work better
208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and as a third one you can enter the ISP DNS.

Resetting the router may help.
Read theLinksys instructions how to reset. You need to hold the button in for 10-15 seconds for reset to take place.
Then you might want to reboot the desktop.

You mentioned that other computers have the connection. Are they not using the same router?

Is your desktop wired? Or are you trying to do things wirelessly with the router (not permitted normally). Are the network properties matching the router?

#3 J-son

J-son
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

Ok I booted up the computer this morning and I get internet, although the DNS servers on the main page of my linksys router still show up as 0.0.0.0

So I have fine internet at the moment. Everything is wireless, im using a wrt54g with comcast cable. All the computers are connected to that router.

EDIT: I lied, my internet is horrible, its going on and off constantly, but it always says excellent connection. In fact it says 100% now always. Although every webpage takes forever to load and I often have refresh and try again.

I just clicked on a "disable a tcp (or something like that) setting that isn't compatible with your router" and it seems to be all right for now.

Edited by J-son, 09 May 2008 - 02:00 PM.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:34 PM

From what i'm reading you are describing two different problems.
Your router gets DNS info from your ISP. Your wireless connection to the
router has nothing to do with that.
Couple of suggestions:
Unplug your cable modem for about one minute. Plug it back in.
Now do the same with the router.
If possible temporarily hardwire the computer to the router and
surf around. See if the problem still exists.

You can change the DNS servers the router uses:
https://www.opendns.com/start?device=linksys

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 J-son

J-son
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

right, I was under the impression that my wireless connection might be messed up this bad because the router wasn't aquiring the dns servers correctly or something like that. I still don't know why I get 0.0.0.0 as my dns server on the router homepage.

All the other wireless connections work fine. Im pretty sure its probably just my wireless adapter dying or something, I never really liked that thing. My router is one floor directly beneath me, sometime next week im going too drill a hole through the floor and connect it directly, and keep it that way. I've had so many wireless problems its just not worth it anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users