Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Retardation.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 speytone

speytone

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

Ok so, i got a computer with an Intel P4 2.66ghz.

I want to maybe replace it with a laptop. A Dell or an HP. Heres what i got my eye on. Keeping in mind all im going ot be doing with it is Watching movies and listening to music and maybe check some mail while I'm at it.

I know very little about dual core technology so bear with me.

2.00GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60
1.60GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T2330
2.0GHZ AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core TL-60

I know the Intel Vs. AMD debate is like rival high school football teams, but i just don't want to be disappointed.

For instance am i going to notice a performance difference going from the p4 2.66 to say the Pentium dual core 1.60 ghz? ANd if i do will it be for better or worse?

Maybe this is a vague question and if so someone please say so.

And, yes, i am aware there are other things that affect the performance aside from just this. . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Well it all depeneds on what you are doing.

If your really focusing on the Intel VS AMD debate it all depends on what you need in a processor.

Tune me out if you want I may be wrong. But from what ive seen AMD is better for gaming and Intel is better for proccessor intesive appliactions other than gaming.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

IMO...you intend nothing but routine things.

Any of those processors can easily handle routine things, along with a host of other processors that you didn't list.

Louis

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:08 AM

For what you're doing, any of those processors should server you fine. They are faster then a Pentium 4, but you might not really notice the difference though if your not doing anything that is processor intensive. The AMD Turion is probably a little bit better then that Intel dual-core. Intel's Core 2 Duo's are better then AMD Turion's though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

Yea the Turion will be better then the intel 2xxx series but intel has newer processors out for laptops, they are the core 2 duo 5xxx series and 7xxx series and those will be faster then the turion.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#6 speytone

speytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:20 AM

hey thanks for all your info. thats basically what i got from everyone else i asked. except for a local computer reseller. hes really got a hate on for AMD. making claims that if overworked can "burn up" quite easily and theres no turning back..

but i think the same could be said of any CPU really?

Anyways again thanks. Its going to make this a bit easier.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

AMD and Intel are always in a tug-of-war when it comes to new technology. A couple of years ago, AMD was in the lead. Now Intel is with their 45nm Core 2 chips. With the current generation of processors, AMD's quad core processors (Phenom) do not perform as well as Intel's even if they have the same clock speed. I'm not hating on AMD, it's just how things are...for now. I'm not sure if it's Intel or AMD's chips (or both) who automatically shut down if their temperatures get too high. If this is the case, the chance of them "burning up" is small.

3939.png

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

I'll probably forever prefer Intel after what I've seen of AMD processors. Intel chips have been more reliable for me, and don't die after a while or something like that. Of course, I'll leave it up to you to choose the brand.

it'll depend on your movie type that you want to watch. I think that most labtops now a days can handle almost all movies fine, although blu ray might tax your system a bit.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:36 PM

I'll probably forever prefer Intel after what I've seen of AMD processors. Intel chips have been more reliable for me, and don't die after a while or something like that. Of course, I'll leave it up to you to choose the brand.

it'll depend on your movie type that you want to watch. I think that most labtops now a days can handle almost all movies fine, although blu ray might tax your system a bit.

Indeed, high definition movies are far more taxing than standard definition. A decent processor is a must.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users