Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Problem?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carbon14

Carbon14

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

Hi,

I recently installed a fresh copy of XP pro on my laptop and after installation everything was fine. I used the intermet to download the drivers for my hardware and other programs and then restarted the computer. After restarting the Internet doesn't run in normal mode not does it run in safe mode. I'm not sure what the problem is, sould someone please help me out?

C14

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hi Carbon14 and welcome to bleepingcomputer.
Can you give a bit more information on what happened when you restarted your computer? What do you mean by it
doesn't run in normal mode nor does it run in safe mode? Do you mean that you can start up your computer or that you can log on to windows?

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

If the internet worked before have you tried using the "system restore" option? Choose a time before the driver downloads.

#4 Carbon14

Carbon14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hi Carbon14 and welcome to bleepingcomputer.
Can you give a bit more information on what happened when you restarted your computer? What do you mean by it
doesn't run in normal mode nor does it run in safe mode? Do you mean that you can start up your computer or that you can log on to windows?

Regards,
Extremeboy

Hi, After I restarted the computer, Everything works fine except for the internet. Before the restart the internet was working perfectly but after the restart as soon as I open either FF/IE I get the server not found notice.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hi,
Like what Crizz44 said try using the "system restore" option, and see if that works. If you need help on System restore please read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/
This also may be caused by a malware :thumbsup: Before we get into anything else try the system restore and tell me if that works.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 Carbon14

Carbon14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Hi,
Like what Crizz44 said try using the "system restore" option, and see if that works. If you need help on System restore please read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/
This also may be caused by a malware :thumbsup: Before we get into anything else try the system restore and tell me if that works.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Hi,

I tried the system restore and it worked (the internet started working) but when I tried to install the drivers again (from the toshiba site) the same thing happened. the drivers that I installed were the ATI display drivers, the touch pad drivers, audio(Realtek AC'97) and Microsoft .NET v2.0.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

First try this download, Winsockxpfix, you may have to do system restore again to get access to the download if you don't have another computer connected to the internet. This can help connection problems.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

You may also want to try omitting the Microsoft .NET v2.0 download and see if you have the same problem.

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:50 PM

Hello Carbon14,

I see you have a HJT log posted in the Misplaced HJT Logs forum.

Please Do Not continue to post questions about malware while you have an active log.

This topic will now be closed.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users