Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Go Click Click Click...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hello! :thumbsup:

I have recently purchased the Western Digital- Raptor X 150GB Internal Hard Drive for my PC. I have installed, formatted and ran Diagnostic tools on it to ensure it is running properly. So I have noticed it has been making noise a lot and I figured a Defrag would be necessary to clean it up and eliminate the noise. Well after defragging...its still there. So I go to Western Digital's website, ensured I utilized all their tools and am stumped. Everything is a green light that it is a valid drive, but it makes noise. Now I know people say this is probably a faulty drive, but wouldn't it have crashed by now? Not to mention I just bought it and it is 150G's used about 30G so far.

Any suggestions on what may be the solution? Cause am at a lost about what to do :flowers:

Thanks!

Edited by K()nT3nTs, 08 May 2008 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hi K()nT3nTs,

Any hard drive I have ever heard clicking was not healthy and soon crashed. Back up any important information now, just to be safe. New drives can be faulty too. Here some support information to troubleshoot this type of problem. Check these other suggestions and if they dont help, I would see about the warranty on the drive and get it replaced.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:41 PM

Look at the HDD and find out what the manufacturer is and go to their web site, you should be able to download their diagnostic tool and burn it to a CD and boot from it to check the condition of your HDD. You may need to enter the BIOS to change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first device seen.

Edited by dc3, 08 May 2008 - 10:42 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:18 AM

Just my advice, if its clicking and still under warranty/returnable backup what you can and take it back while you can. If you decide to keep using it, backup often.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

As suggested...run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive (long test, if there is a long and a short).

Before they even begin to consider an RMA, the hard drive manufacturer's representative will request that you do this.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users