Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BigE23

BigE23

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

I am building my first computer and I've run into a problem. My MB is an ABIT AX78, with AMD Athlon 5600+ X2, 4 gigs of Corsair ram (2x2), XFX GForce 6800 XT, 2x320gig SATA HD's, and a 500W power supply.

When I turn on the power, the post code display sequences the self test codes and stops on FF, which is described as "Boot Attempt (INT 19h)". I had my keyboard and mouse plugged into USB ports, but there is no indication that they are active. The video card is good (I verified on another computer), but I have no video display. It's real hard to do anything with the BIOS, if my mouse, keyboard and monitor don't work. I have a call in to ABIT and I hope I hear from them someday.............. Meanwhile, my questions are: Since the video card is Nvidia based and the MB has an ATI chipset, is that why I have no video? If I get an ATI based video card, will that solve that problem?

Secondly, since none of the USB ports seem to work, does this indicate a defective MB, or is this something that will be corrected if/when I can access the BIOS?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

For the USB, look on page 2-9 and 2-10 in the users manual. Enable USB Legacy support if it's turned off
Are you sure the Clear CMOS switch on the I/O shield, is in the default position? Maybe you bumped it.
I have the same board with a 8800GTS with no problems
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hi BigE23,

Do you have or can you borrow a PS2 keyboard? Just for starters to see if you can get into the bios.

#4 BigE23

BigE23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

I have a PS/2 keyboard and mouse that I have connected and I now have power to them both. The EZCMOS1 switch was in the proper position, but I recycled it just to be sure. The problem remains that I have no video display.

The monitor and the video card both work on a different computer. If I can get a video display, I think I can work thru the rest of it (foolish optimism).
Any suggestions on the video? I've tried taking out the card and reinstalling it, and I've tried connecting to each of the two DVI outputs. That didn't work.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

Stupid questions, but I must ask. Is the power plugged into the card and do you have it in the correct slot?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

I don't think it's your video. I think there is something with the motherboard setup. That is a boot error. I did find this information:

Debug Instruction
POST code = FF,CPU canít step

Check the power, RESET and their relative circuit. Refer the C/BE LED signal of PCI step card to solve some CPU command fault problem.

I am still looking for more information to see if we can't figure out what to do. Are you sure all of your front connections are correct. The reset and power connections to the motherboard?

That video card is an easy install, you should only need to install it into the correct X16 slot and it should be ready to go.
So, I am thinking the motherboard is either not setup correctly or there is another hardware issue.

Are you getting any beep codes when you turn your system on?

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:31 PM

Are you see anything on your computer screen when it tries to boot? Are you getting the message
""Boot Attempt (INT 19h)" onscreen? This is attempting to initialize the bios.

#8 BigE23

BigE23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

First, yes the card is in the PCIE X16 slot and power is connected. I have even pulled the card and reseated it.

Secondly, I have absolutely nothing on the screen. The POST code info I provided came from the manual, when I looked up FF. It appears that it is ready to boot and the system needs some kind of interaction from me to make the next step. Unfortunately, without any video, I don't no what I am supposed to do.

No, there were no beep codes

I have checked all the front connections and they appear to be correct.

It's starting to look like the X16 slot may be dead.

I'm not too impressed with ABIT's customer service. I left a message over 2 days ago and haven't heard from them yet..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users