Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post Virus/adware - Missing Dlls

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tigerrat

Tigerrat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hello there as this is my first post and thanks in advance for your assistance. I dealt with a virus or such this weekend and with the help of Webroot and Combofix the problems seem to be gone but I get an error message that a couple of dlls are missing. One is clb.dll. When I attempt to run regedit I'm told it can't start cause this dll can't be found. After some research I ran sfc using my Reinstallation CD which came with the computer(XPSP1a). No joy. Then I saw that clb.dll is associated with SP2 which I downloaded and installed from MS a while back. So went to MS, downloaded a SP2 install file and ran it hoping this re-install would help. It seemed to install fine but I still get the same error trying to use regedit. I couldn't even find this dll in the extracted SP2 install file.

Any suggestions to avoid a reload?
I'm trying to use regedit to turn Task Manager back on which got turned off by the virus/adware problem I suspect.
Of present less importance, at startup I get an message for a missing dfekigwl.dll which I can't find anything about.
Maybe there's still some bad stuff on here?? Thanks again, Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

Hi,
IF it is a virus/ad-aware promblem please post it in the "AM I INFECTED FORUM"
Are you sure that the missing defekigwl.dll is spelt correctlly? I have research on google and even google never heard of defekigwl.dll.
Regards to the clb.dll and regedit promblem please take a look here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1054248212
One more suggustion you might want to reinstall clb.dll and see if that works. Before there was another promblem relating to this. The person said after he upgraded his Motherboard then everything worked fine.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

You can download a fresh copy of clb.dll from here.

Typically when you get a virus it makes an entry in your registry instructing your computer to run the virus every time you start. Your antivirus found the virus and deleted it, but this dfekigwl.dll entry is still in your registry, which is why you are getting the error message. Using the AutoRuns utility you should be able to locate this entry and delete it.

As for your Task Manager problem, try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Enable the Task Manager - #113 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Tigerrat

Tigerrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

Ah, progress. Extremeboy, I looked at the post on annoyannces and I too could open regedit from the copy in the cache file. Hadn't thought of that.
Budapest, I downloaded the dll and installed it and regedit is good. I'll now tackle the remaining two issues. Big thanks guys, Ken

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

Glad that we were able to help :thumbsup:
Good luck

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 Tigerrat

Tigerrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

OK, I restored Task Manager easily. Now using Autoruns I can not find any reference to this dfekigwl.dll so I'm still getting the message Specified module not found. I am looking under Everything and using Find. I do see several File not Found entries but don't know if they relate. Am I using Autoruns correctly or any other suggestions? Thanks, Ken

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Hi,
Read this topic on how to use AUtoruns, Can't explain because I need to go soon sorry. Here's the link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-remove-a-trojan-virus-worm-or-malware/

extermeboy

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

Please save a copy of the output of Autoruns using the Save option in the File menu item and post it here for us to have a look at.
It's most likely in one of those File Not Found entries, but it's difficult to tell without being able to see it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users