Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Pci Card Conflicts

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 akex

akex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hello folks
I am having an exasperating problem which i hope you can help me with. My computer, which is only six months old was working superbly until I installed a Belkin USB 2.0 Hi-Speed PCI Card to facilitate the use of a 'Belkin G+ Wireless USB adapter. After installing the software and rebooting, the first thing that I noticed was that my ethernet connection to the internet was gone. I was using Realtek RTL8139/810x family fast NIC packet scheduler miniport. I found the device in device manager but it was 'hidden'. I uninstalled the new PCI card and removed it from the computer and found that it wouldn't reboot at all. I reinstalled the card and it rebooted fine. I've tried the Belkin helpdesk with no joy, searched and searched the device manager for conflicts but it tells me that every device is working fine when obviously it's not. Last night i downloaded fresh device drivers for both the PCI card and the wireless adaptor (I'm using one of my old USB ports to do it which takes a lifetime to do) Windows recognised the new pci card as new hardware and installed it fine. It appears in device manager showing the new drivers but it still doesn't work (I checked it with various usb devices which work in the old ports) So here i am, stuck.
Even though my ethernet connection lights up green when i plug the cord in, the connection is dead. I cannot get it out from Hidden devices in device manager. The new pci card is also dead and the wireless adaptor also now resides in hidden devices.
I don't know where to start looking because the computer saus that everything is fine. I can't do system restore and i cant remove the card because the computer refuses o reboot afterwards.
I'm convinced that there is a conflict between the new card and my exsisting one which is a standard openhcd usb host controller. I am running XP SP2 with an AMD Athlon 64 processor. Please help before the few remaining wisps of hair that i possess get wrenched from my skull.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

I would remove all drivers for these troublesome devices...reboot...and reinstall them one by one, properly, with the correct drivers. Physically remove devices until ready to install them, keeping life as simple as possible.

I I had a problem installing any particular device...I would stop at that one and solve it before considering moving on to more complex situations.

Louis

#3 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hi all. Thanks for the tips Louis but before I can try any fixes, I have an even bigger problem to overcome. After posting my original problem last night, i was on the phone to my internet provider trying in vain to get my connection up and running again. After a reboot, my desktop wouldn't appear, just my wallpaper with no task bar or icons. I then got the message 'Windows sockets initialization failed' I eventually got my desktop back by using Task Manager to open a programme but now I have no internet connection whatsoever (I'm typing this using my son's laptop to post this) From the little research I have had chance to do so far, it seems to be a corrupted registry entry. How has this happened? I never went near the registry. My computer cane with XP pre installed and have no disc, just the code on a sticker. I do have an XP installation disc that I bought last year when I upgraded another computer. It set me back 179 so I do hope that I could somehow use that to effect a repair if indeed the registry has been corrupted in some way. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

It's the licensed version of XP that counts.

If you have a licensed XP Home install...and you have a CD with XP Home Upgrade on it...no problem using that CD to repair the install.

If you have a licensed XP Home install...and you have a CD with XP Pro Upgrade on it...that cannot be used to repair XP Home versions.

As for corruption and how it occurs...there's plenty of material available on such...if you care to Google and use phrases like "file corruption."

I have a list of links I normally post on such, but I'm not at my home right now and don't have access to them.

Louis

#5 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hello again all.
Sorry I haven't been able to respond to any posts for a while but I still have the same problem as I started with initially ie. no network. I have to rely on my son coming down with his laptop to access the internet; so here's te state of play so far.
I did a complete reinstall of XP and this corrected any windows/registry problems. Unfortunately I had to do it with that blasted PCI card still in it's slot because the PC won't even boot into the initial sequences without it. I took the PC to a good buddy of mine who is more knowledgeable about such things but he too was stumped as to what is causing it to behave this way. I've updated te BIOS and the chipset drivers and trawled the Microsoft knowledge base for answers and fixes all to no avail, i still have no network adapters and no way of connecting, not even wirelessly and for the life of me I cannot understand why such a simple plug and play device can cause such problems. I have this awful, niggle at the back of my mind which asks 'did I unplug the power cord before I put the card in it's slot' I'm sure that I did but I have resolved to toddle off to the PC shop next week to avail myself of a new motherboard, that is all I can think it can be although everything, and I mean everything else works absolutely fine, just my network adaptors, particularly my integrated ethernet adaptor which isn't even listed anywhere in device manager any more. Now I'm a poor lad and although a new motherboard won't cost an arm and a leg (just a finger or two from one hand perhaps) I was wondering if Mine could be manually reset to default some way? I've convinced myself that a new board is the answer but if any of you good folks could offer a suggestion or two i would be extremely grateful (so will the cat, because I will be able to buy him some food instead of ordering him out to go and kill something for his dinner)
Thanx again for any assistance
Alex

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Well...I would not consider a new motherboard just because of either/both USB/NIC problems.

There are PCI cards for each of those functions...that can be installed and which cost less than a new motherboard.

Assuming that the system in question is not a laptop...

Louis

#7 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:41 PM

How do again..!
Thanx for the tip Louis, you gave me an idea. I have a new NIC card that I had in another computer so I know that it works okay. I unplugged the offending card and installed this one in it's place, lo and behold the PC booted up okay but when Windows started, it didn't recognise it as new hardware and gave it the same description and drivers as my integrated network adaptor and consequently gave it a yellow triangle in device manager. I've tried disabling each in turn and even uninstalling them both and rebooting hoping that windows will recognise new hardware but they were just the same.
I also had the problem of every time i plugged my ethernet cable into the new card, windows crashed immediately.
I installed the software from my internet provider to try and somehow configure the connections but that failed too because it says that it can't find a network card installed although they are listed in device manager. Oh yes, i nearly forgot, on one of the reboots, I got the message inviting me to configure my exsisting network adaptor, I tried the various options one by one to see if that made a difference but it didn't, then i got the message that my cable may not be connected to the board!!?
This led me again to the belief that it is my motherboard that has gone on the networking side because everything else works fine. I did a system restore to just after i reinstalled windows and left it. So you see the problem that I have Louis, I'm loath to buy another NIC card when I think that it will do just the same, i'd rather have a fresh start and try for a new board.
Thanx again buddy
Regards
Alex

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

Sounds to me like you did not install the drivers for the replacement card.

Windows needs drivers for the card to work properly, you cannot just move the hardware into position and expect it to work.

What is the model and manufacturer for the card you installed?

If you are not going to use the onboard NIC...remove the drivers for it (via Device Manager) and disable it.

Louis

#9 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi again.
I did install the new card drivers Louis even though Windows didn't detect the new hardware and hence didn't launch the wizard. I've already tried to uninstall my existing NIC card drivers several times at varying points but windows won't let me as it says it may need the device to boot. The card I tried was only a cheapo PCLine NB 10/100 NIC card which I had up and running in another computer so I know that there is nothing wrong with it.
Every connection I try (NIC, USB,Wireless) appear in 'Network Connections with a big red cross through them. I've searched the system hardware and under Network adaptors it says that there are no devices present, yet in device manager you find network adaptors, click properties and it tells you that whichever one you are trying to use is working fine and really I think it's a case of me not being not able to see the wood for the trees, but as I've mentioned previously, other people have looked at this with fresh eyes and had exactly the same result. I simply cannot get any network device to work.
One half of windows says that there are no network devices present and the other half says oh yes they are and they are working fine when it's blatantly obvious they they aren't working fine. It's all so dammed frustrating and I've been without the interweb for best part of a month now (save for my son and his laptop) so I think that on this occasion, I'll reluctantly admit defeat on this one, I had thought about calling a man in a white coat, you know the type, with lots of pens in his top pocket to come and poke at it but then again that would invariably cost more than a new board.
Success or failure fear ye not, I shall keep you posted.
Cheers
Alex.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

Maybe I'm blind :thumbsup:, but I believe that removing all those drivers via Device Manager...would solve your problem.

I've never known Windows to be able to prevent removal of drivers/uninstallment of devices. Those warnings that are given...they are just there for persons who don't know what they are doing, Microsoft's attempt to prevent unknowing users from disabling key components of their systems.

Anything listed in device manager can be removed.

Maybe someone else has a better idea than I do of what's going on...

Louis

#11 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

Hi All
Yep, it's true Louis. After I'd posted last night, i decided to give it one last try and I uninstalled anything and everything to do with USB, which it did okay. Uninstalled wireless adaptor okay but when it came to the network card, same message.'Windows failed to uninstall this device as it may be needed to boot the computer' All this was done through device manager. I removed all cards from the PCI slots (I only have two) and tried a reboot. Much to my chagrin, I found that yet again I still have the problem of the computer simply will not boot at all without a card of some sort or description in one of the slots. I can't even get into safe mode before the screen turns black, shove a card back in and it boots up fine. Upon reboot, all the Usb's were recognised as new hardware and drivers installed automatically but network adaptors simply sit there glowering at me, useless and unrecognised by hardware profilers. Just to recap, everything was working absolutely fine until I performed the oh so simple task of installing a seemingly innocuous USB PCI carrd, something that I have done many, many times before with no problems whatsoever (not in this computer i must add). So yet again I reckon that the act of putting this thing in has blown, shorted something somewhere on the mainboard and totally screwed the networking side of it. and now as I say, the board needs a card in the slot to act like some kind of jumper to boot up, so I've saved some shillings and in the morning I'm off to buy a new board, at least that way I'm having a fresh start.
I'm grateful for the advice anyway Louis.
Regards
Alex

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Sounds bizarre, but...that's computer situations for you :thumbsup:.

Thanks for the feedback, it may help someone in a similar situation :flowers:.

Louis

#13 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hi all.
Just to put this one to bed finally. I went down to the computer store for a new mobo but they didn't have one, but the guy offered to take my pc and have a look at it. Now this guy has a white coat and many pens in his pocket, even a couple of micro srewdrivers so we are talking a top kiddy here, anyway after three days of poking at it and trying various things, he came to exactly the same conclusion, it was the mobo but why it was doing what it was doing he couldn't exactly say.
Iv'e been out today and bought a new mobo and installed it, apart from windows being a little unstable as of yet, everything seems to work fine and i am posting this on my own computer at long last.
So what's the lesson here then? I guess it must be to make sure that you take every precaution when installing even the simplest internal devices and take nothing for granted or you could just end up getting bitten in the butt... like me :thumbsup:
Catch y'all later
alex

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users