Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Suddenly Disappeared External Hardrive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

Hi,

I am having a very strange problem with my Western Digital 500 Gig external hard drive and hope you can help me solve this problem. I recently tried to copy files from my external on to my laptop when it gave me an error (it flashed so quickly I forgot to write it down). The next thing I know, a bunch of files completely disappeared from the external hard drive. I never deleted anything and there was nothing in the recycle bin and the external still reports the exact amount of memory it had as before. Yet, a whole group of files have mysteriously disappeared. They are not hidden and were never encrypted.

Please advise on what I should do to retrieve these missing files.

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

General info: When files start to disappear from a drive or suddenly become inaccessible, first thing to check should be all drive connections.

Second thing to check would be the drive itself. I prefer to use the XP tool, chkdsk /r, first...then, if necessary, a diagnostic disk downloaded from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

These are not the only possible reasons such would occur, but it's a start.

Louis

#3 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your response. Will the XP chkdsk simply diagnose the problem or will it also correct it if any issues arise? I'm afraid to do anything until I make sure these programs don't automatically format my hard drive.

Please advise on what I might be able to do to safely recover some of the files that have completely disappeared. Also, could you please tell me if those files are still in the hard drive even though I can't find them?

Thank you for your time.

Justin

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

First...understand that, at any time...something can go wrong with the best plans/procedures of human beings on a tool such as a computer. Computers are electronic, complex, and impacted by things that might be considered inconsequential from a human point of view.

Using chkdsk /r, according to the following link, should not ordinarily result in any loss of data.

Chkdsk (nor anything else that I know of) is not designed to fix/repair every circumstance imaginable on a system. It's a tool which can positively effect beneficial results for many computer situation. It may not be of any assistance to you, it may help. It should not make anything worse than it currently is.

[post="http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html"]Using Graphical Version of Chkdsk[/post]

Please skip down to the section dealing with the Graphical Version and ignore everything else on the webpage.

For you to ask me how to "recover" files from a hard drive I don't have...that's asking a lot. Let's run some tests on the drive first before we try to recover files which you claim are not visible.

Louis

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:50 AM

file recovery

they offer free versions that will recover "deleted" files.

i would say recover the files to another hdd/dvd/cd set and fdisk the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users