Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Atlantis Word Processor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hey all! I just started using Open Office, after ditching Word <g>.. A friend of mine says he's using the Atlantis Word Processor.. Before I spend a lot of time looking into it, I figured I'd see if anyone here knows anything about it. Thanks in advance for any input! : )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MeanPC

MeanPC

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:49 AM

Just curious, why did you ditch Word? I might use Open Office if I didn't already own Microsoft Office, but if I already had MS Office - what is the motivation to use Open Office? I can see if you were switching to a Linux platform maybe.
Posted Image

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:12 AM

According to what I read (Wikipedia) the free version of Atlantis is not being developed currently. This means that any security problems will not be patched, and could spell inter-operability problems with MS Office document files. If it has all the features you want, and those two considerations are not showstoppers, then there would be no harm in at least trying it.
However, I would concentrate on improving my skill set in OO.o, which has more modules than just word processing, whose file types are standard-compliant and translatable into Office file types, and is in a constant state of development. I would also imagine the support and documentation of OO.o is superior.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users