Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Stuck On Start Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 annie-p

annie-p

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Hi, hope someone can help me solve a problem with my daughters computer.

It's a PC that my sister gave to my daughter to do her work at university. It's an older computer (maybe 4 yrs) Running XP pro.

I don't know any other details. Hoping this might be a simple problem to solve. I can't remember how XP works (been using vista for 18 months)
She turned off the pc last night as usual. This morning, she said it wouldn't start up. She read something on screen telling her to press Shift and Tab, which she did. Now the computer is stuck on a system configuration screen and she doesn't have an option to start in safe mode/ last known good configuration or anything at all.

She sent a photo of the start up screen to my mobile which Ive uploaded with this message. Can anyone offer any help given the lack of information please?
Thanks in advance.
Annie

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

Has she tried rebooting? If she will try that and then tap and hold F8 as it is rebooting and before Windows begins to load she should get the bootup option screen which will give her the options of bootup in safe mode, last known good configuration, command prompt, normal, etc. as well as an option to do a system restore. She can pick whichever seems most appropriate for the situation. I'd suggest normal or safe-mode first and then go from there. Best to you...

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

For some reason, it's taking you right to the BIOS. You hard drive shows uo on that screen, so you're OK there. I would try replacing the system battery (available at many drug stores) With the computer unplugged from the wall, take the side off. On the motherboard you will see a silver coin-sized battery (CR2032). Carefully remove it, noting the orientation, and replace it with a new one. You will now have to enter the BIOS (usually by tapping the delete key) to reset the date and time. Once that is done you can exit and save changes, and hopefully reboot into Windows
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 annie-p

annie-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

Thank you Mark. I'll try that. When I asked her to unplug the computer a few minutes ago, she got an electric shock so something is very wrong there. I warned her not to touch it again.
Will have to travel up to Bangor tomorrow to see if I can fix the problem for her. I'm vision impaired (macular degeneration) so things like this take such a long time to resolve. Maybe if I win the lottery I can afford a new computer for her. LOL
warm regards
Annie
(I agree with you about the grandkids. They are so precious)

#5 annie-p

annie-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

For some reason, it's taking you right to the BIOS.

A million thanks Mark. You're a genius (my daughter now thinks I'm a genius!) When you said it was booting right to the bios, it got me thinking. So I tried to remember how the boot sequence works.....and then remembered a problem I had once with win95. I'd left a floppy disk in the drive which caused lots of problems for me......so I asked my daughter if she could, perhaps have left a memory stick plugged into the computer. The usb ports are at the back of her computer and she *had* left a memory stick in there.....so I guess that's what caused the problem. She removed the memory stick, rebooted the computer and all is well.
Many thanks again.
warm regards
Annie

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

Good to hear you figured it out. I hope the shock didn't hose the USB port or the thumb drive. When she got shocked, was it touching the computer or at the wall outlet? Even though you turn the computer off, it still uses some power unless you shut it off with the switch on the power supply in the back

Edited by garmanma, 08 May 2008 - 12:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 annie-p

annie-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Good to hear you figured it out. I hope the shock didn't hose the USB port or the thumb drive. When she got shocked, was it touching the computer or at the wall outlet? Even though you turn the computer off, it still uses some power unless you shut it off with the switch on the power supply in the back

I didn't think about that Mark. I'll phone her in a little while and ask her what exactly happened when she got the shock. She was so stressed out because she still has an awful lot of work to do for her degree. It's all stored on that computer.
I know her landlords are doing some improvements on the house where she rents a room. But these houses must follow the safety guidelines, the same as if she was living in the Halls of Residence in the University grounds. Will ask her to check if they have a safety certificate from the landlord.
My daughter just phoned me to say thanks (and to ask me to pass on her heartfelt gratitude for your help) She says she got the shock when she touched the plug at the wall outlet (we call it an electric socket in Wales)

It's good to have someone who can offer advice in situations like this. Thank you so much for all your help.
warm regards
Annie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users