Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Or Replacement Won't Run Under Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

I had some NTFS errors in the event log on a Vista machine, and it said the volume was corrupt (but it keeps working...). I tried running CHKDSK /R from the command prompt, and told it to do so when it rebooted. On a reboot, nothing happens - it reboots normally. Tried through Computer Management Error Checking the same thing, and it also will not run after a reboot. How do you get CHKDSK to run on a Vista machine? And should I worry about those (quite a few) NTFS errors?Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:50 PM

Is this link helpful: http://www.winvistaclub.com/t50.html?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:44 AM

The NTFS errors can be caused by either a problem with the NTFS file system, by a problem with your hard drive, or by a problem setting the flag that tells chkdsk /r to run at boot.

Can you run chkdsk (without the /r) from the command prompt within Vista? If not, what does the screen say when it doesn't run?

You can try running it from Startup Repair by booting from your Vista DVD and selecting the Command Prompt option when it's offered (tutorial located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ ).

I'd have to suggest running a hard drive diagnostic utility (available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive) to see if it's a problem with the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

Replies to CHKDSK suggestions: The registry change did not make CHKDSK fire up after a reboot. I ran a CHKDSK in read mode from the command prompt, and it reports about a dozen instances of "Attribute Record is Corrupt" with record locations. Then it says it has to quit. The Event Logs show problems when I try to do a Search. This is a VAIO laptop, and Sony does not ship a VISTA DVD with it, so the repair option is out (unless there is some other way). I have not tried running a disk diagnostic tool from them yet. I backed up the entire disk successfully yesterday. Do you think if I reformatted the entire disk and reloaded from THIS backup that it would fix this kind of problem? It has been going on so long that there would be no restore point left. Any further ideas on any of the above? Thanks again :huh:

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

The approach to fixing disk errors is usually begins with one of two things:
1) a diagnostic of the hard drive
2) chkdsk /r

Since chkdsk will run and you know that you've got errors - a hard drive diagnostic will confirm/rule out the hard drive as the source of the problem. If it fails the hard drive test, you'll need a new drive - if it passes the hard drive test, then you'll need to run something that'll fix the chkdsk errors.

You can download an ISO of a Vista Startup Repair disk from here (32 bit version): http://coblitz.codeen.org/neosmart.net/dow...ry_Disc_x86.iso
Startup Repair also includes chkdsk as one of it's functions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the tips - I'll try that ISO first to see if CHKDSK /R will run from it.

#7 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

ISO: I downloaded the ISO and used the ISO copy option of Nero to make a CD, but the computer won't boot to this CD (BIOS is set to do that). What am I missing? Sorry for the trouble :huh:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Most commonly this is due to a corrupted download - so try downloading it again and see if that works. If not, then try this free add-on for writing ISO's: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/Vista.htm

Just follow the instructions on his website and it'll make an ISO for you.

Also, ensure that you've got a 32 bit version of Vista. If you have a 64 bit version the 32 bit disk won't work right.

#9 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

John,

The ISO recorder you linked me worked making another copy. I was able to run CHKDSK /R from this other tool, and it fixed a BUNCH of problems, including deleting and rebuilding the attribute records that it said were corrupt. Plus it fixed other file/cluster problems. Then I ran the SONY disk diagnostic hardware checking tool, which did extensive checks, and found no problems. These file problems mystify me, cause this laptop is slightly over one year old and has only been used 5 times, the most for two weeks at a stretch. Any ideas why all of these file problems would have cropped up?

The VISTA search still returns a bunch of "blank" spaces where it should find files. It did not always do this.

Do you know of another good free 3rd-party disk diagnostic tool I could run on my non-SONY machine? I have not looked for one yet.

You have answered several of my questions over the past many months, and thanks again for your continued help! :huh:

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

In general I recommend the disk diagnostic from the manufacturer of the hard drive - that way you're getting the tests that were designed with that drive in mind. Some of the SMART attributes aren't standard between the drives, so the manufacturer is the one best qualified to make a test for it.

File corruption problems are a mystery to me. If chkdsk /r fixed all the problems, keep an eye out for more problems in the future. Repetitive corruption will signal a problem - usually with the drive, but it can also be with the other components inside the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users