Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

Hi,
My dad's computer wouldn't start today, it was working perfectly fine yesterday, until today he pressed the turn on button but nothing appears just a black blank screen, nothing appears then my dad has to turn it off by holding the shutdown button. Please don't mention anything about reformating the computer because my dad has many important files/folders that he needs for his business. By the way this is a laptop, Microsoft Xp, NTFS, I think it has 1gb of ram or maybe a bit less.
Hope that was enough information and someone please help me.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 07 May 2008 - 07:13 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

Can you get into the BIOS? If not then maybe the screen has died or some other hardware failure.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hi Budapest, I can't get into the BIOS after I turn it on it's just a blank screen. I doubt that the screen has died, but the hardware failure could be possible.
Any other advice?

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

Try plugging in an external monitor. Laptop screens do die - it happened to one of my colleagues last month.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

Hi,
Did what you said still doesn't work, Screen is still blank

Extremeboy

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

Do you have to hold down the power button for a while before it turns off? If so, it may be that Windows has actually loaded, but you just can't see it.

If this is the case, then it's likely to be your video card, your monitor, or the cables between them.
Try hooking up an external monitor - if it still doesn't work, then it's likely to be the video card (not usually fixable in a laptop)
On some laptops you've got to press the Fn key along with one of the Function keys to shift the display to the external monitor.

The good news is that the data is likely still there on the hard drive - so it should be recoverable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hi usasma.
Thanks for the information and yes it takes a while before it turns off. Maybe the windows is actually loaded.
I will try pressing the Fn key along with one of the Function keys and see if that works when my dad comes back

Regards,
Extremeboy

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

Hi,
Thanks for everyone's advice. My dad's... helper I should say changed the hard-drive and now's working fine with some minor errors, like there's a loud noise when starting the computer. I think after a while the noise should stop eventually. Any ideas what that noise is coming from and why?

Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users