Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

403 Error Forbidden Message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 goldenmom1

goldenmom1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

hi all- 1st post here! my son is having a prob with desktop. he's running vista, with IE. here is what he's got going on. when he signs online, he's getting an error message that reads 403 forbidden. he can't access the web. no sites at all. i've tried to look into it and nothing is working out. i'm typing in the right addresses too. he able by the way to sign on to AIM and his music, but i think that is because he's not having to route to an address on the web. last week is when he started to notice the problem. he went to sign on and it went to comcast and asked if he was a customer or technician. he knew something was wrong at that point and he got off line. not been able to click online since. i've tried sys restore only to get an error for that too. i've reset the IE and it didn't help either. when i go into trusted/restricted sites, the thing tells me that the address has to read https:// not the normal http:// that seems strange to me. i can't get on to download anything to run and check if there is malware or what causing the problem. its a brand new puter, couple months old and he desperately needs this for college. can anyone please, please, help me with this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

HI :thumbsup:

if this IS a new computer...maybe a silly question but did it come with an antivirus program ( probably Norton )preinstalled and if so was it activated?

also, by what method does it connect to the internet , who is the ISP and might IT have an antivirus protection method in it ????

does it have any other protection prograsm on it and if so when if ever where they updated and run ?

also; has the computer been allowed to go to the microsoft update site to get all the vista windows updates?

#3 goldenmom1

goldenmom1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:42 AM

hi ruby thanks for the reply! yes it came with norton, i think i remember, but when he got it, i overhauled the antivirus program. what i mean by that is, Ball State has symantec, for the students, and i went in and downloaded it for him. yes it was working at the time it went down. he connects via net by means of wireless. the whole campus is wireless, sometimes he loses signal, but a purchased an antennea when i bought it just in case. so on times that he loses signal, the guys upstairs and some people around him also have comcast, so he pulls off them- with their knowledge, though. he said something about they had given him and his roommate a password to connect when they needed too, and it's been working all this time like that until a week or so ago. comcast has macafee, which i had too, with them, but had trouble with it, so i got rid of it. didn't install it on his. i don't know about a malware program. i didn't see one on it when i went thru his files. that is what i was going to take care of when this happened- go figure. i needed to find out if he had spybot or something in it. i couldn't remember if i had installed one or not. if i had, i would have set it up with the scheduler. but didn't see one. yes the automatic updates was on. i do have puter here with me, shut off, so no other damage can be done, so i can plug it in and work as i need to on it to get it up and running. i may go in after bit and try the reset of IE again. i read on IE that on reset, when you get done, you have to push "ok" twice. when i was on the phone with tech from comcast, they didn't tell me to do that. so i may check that again. i hope this answered your questions. also, by the way, the only page that will load on his computer is comcast.com. i can't surf to another page after that. when you do try to sign on, the page that tries to load is a page that says- go.microsoft.com. which doesn't load, but i put comcast as the home page and have to manually click on it.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:29 AM

HI

the https://

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

means it is a secure site with a padlock

please search for and see if norton IS still on there

Ball State has symantec, for the students, and i went in and downloaded it for him

of interest, how will you connect it to the internet while it is with you ?

as it is vista can you please try running this vista compatible program

superantispyware

Superantispyware; guide on how to install and run

If you have not already got a Downloads folder , I suggest you create a new folder in My Documents, and name it Downloads ;

Installing superantispyware
Superantispyware is found here

http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

Download to the Downloads folder the free exe to superantispyware from here

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

you install superantispyware by clicking on the icon in the downloads folder ;
it will launch the installation process;
follow the instructions and I suggest you ask for a default installation ;
ensure it creates a desktop icon for you ;
once the program has been installed it should ask you if you wish to update the program ; say YES

if it does not ask you , you need TO fully update the definitions by opening the program and find the ‘check for updates ‘tab in the bottom left of the menus you see; click on it and it will do the update for you ;
I suggest you ask it to check for updates again once the first update is complete just to be sure

please then reboot your computer ; it is preferable to run the scan in your computers safe mode;

please open this program from the desktop icon
please run the scan while you are OFF line and do not have the computer doing any other work while the scan runs

go to the preferences tab on the right
on the General tab I suggest you disable the scan on start up

on the Hijack protection tab I suggest you tick BOTH items; this enables the program to give you a Hijack home page alert if your home page gets changes ; if you DO get a home page hijack, when you boot up the computer superantispyware will open and tell you the home page has changed and will ask you if this is a legitimate change;

in statistics/logs- go to the bottom and you will see two boxes asking about keeping a log of scanning results and saving empty logs?

Tick both of them

Then go back to the main screen and see the tab that says scan your computer? Do you see that ?

Click on it

A screen will open ;on the left hand side ensure your FIXED drive ( most probably the C drive) is ticked;
Also tick in there any other section that is used and attached .
On the right had side you see three scanning options?; please click the Complete scan option

OK; you are now set to scan

Please then click on the ‘next’ tab and let the scan run please run the scan while you are OFF line and do not have the computer doing any other work while the scan runs

From my experience running this program the complete full scan CAN take many hours to run depending on how much is on your computer so be patient and let it run; maybe go for a cuppa or watch a favourite program while this one runs

Once the scan IS complete you will be presented with a box telling you what the scan has found ( if anything); if harmful objects have been found click on the OK button ; on the next screen all the harmful objects should have a check mark beside them, ; click ‘next’

A notification should appear that

‘quarantine and removal is complete’

click ‘ok’
and then the Finish button to get returned to the main menu

If you have run the scan in computers safe mode you will need to reboot to computer normal mode

If you have run in computer’s normal mode I suggest you reboot to enable the ‘fix’ the program has performed to consolidate

You then need to retrieve the scan result

Open the program and return to the statistics /logs section ; locate the most recent log ; left mouse click on it to highlight it and click the ‘view log’ tab

The log should appear in maybe note pad ; you need to copy and paste that log for examination
Once you have posted the log please close the superantispyware program

has he enquired of any of his buddies if they have any computer problems or if any of them think they MIGHT be infected?

#5 goldenmom1

goldenmom1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:11 AM

ruby, i will be hooking it up and running it thru our ethernet cable, while i run a wireless laptop to make sure everything is getting done. i'm not sure, but i think he said something about his roommate having the problem also. got to check on that. if norton is still on there, i plan to, if i can access it, to uninstall norton and go with avg like i have, it's a better program i think. is there a way to download the superantispyware to a cd and install it on his puter if i can't get on to retrieve it? i will play around with it to see myself. i will post back with results. thanks!

#6 goldenmom1

goldenmom1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:38 AM

morning ruby- ok i ran the the superanti yesterday. it found nothing. i checked and i still have norton- ran it found nothing. so there is nothing to report. i talked to my son yesterday and he told me his roommate Does have the same problem. i dont know what is going on with that. i went in and did another reset of IE too and it didnt change anything either. still can't access the web.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

one of them really silly questions now but

check
with IE open go to file / scroll down; is work OFF line ticked?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users