Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cannot Shrink The Operating System Partition Very Much

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nowthenbc

nowthenbc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

I have just bought a Dell PC and it came with 3 partitions:
FAT 16 - Dell Utilities
(NTFS) C: Operating System - Vista Home Premium
(NTFS) D: Recovery Partition containing Dell's PCRestore and an ImageX image of the Operating System
I would like to reduce the C partition from approx 240GB to 35GB, so that I can insert a new partition in the remaining space. When I go into Disk Management and try to shrink the partition, I am only allowed to shrink it to 110GB.
Can anyone explain the reason why this might be?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

vista has all kinds of hidden files and reserved space that you can't see, I had to disable a memory dump? can't remember where i found it and then disable system restore(it was a new computer) to get my system partition down to 35 gigs, that's as small as I would go tho, and you had better watch what you install then
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

on your right now vista is reserving 40 gigs for system restore, that's silly
Chewy

#4 nowthenbc

nowthenbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:00 AM

There are plenty of laptops being sold with 80GB hard drives. How is Vista managing with that? Microsoft say the following in their system requirements for Vista Home Premium: "40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space". I mean, that is a strange concept. Do they need 40GB or 15GB? ....and how does Vista manage with such a small amount of space when compared with the 110GB that it seems to want from me?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:44 AM

vista reserves 15% for restore, 15% of 40 or 15% of 250

and then there's the memory dump, swap file and coffeebreak, afternoon tea break parts whatever

If I can remember hibernate is one of the first things i turn off with XP never worked right anyway, for notebook clients I ask first
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users