Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Will Not Boot - Safe Mode Boot Hangs At Jgogo.sys

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MagicAdam

MagicAdam

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:40 PM

I am running Windows XP, SP2 on a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R with Intel Q6600 processor, 4Gb of RAM and 3 hard drives - 2 SATA (II) and one IDE (the SATAs are not in RAID).

It first arose after having left the computer on over night and returning to find it frozen. It required a complete power off. Upon rebooting there are the usual options - start windows normally, last known good config, and the 3 safe mode options.

When trying either start normally or with last known good config, it brings up the familiar windows logo boot screen, then after a short while, reboots itself.

If trying one of the safe mode boot options, it goes through all the usual driver loads, and stops at JGOGO.sys, with the message 'Press Esc to cancel loading sptd.sys'. If I press escape, this message clears, the system hangs, and reboots itself. It I don't press escape, after a short while the message disappears, and a reboot happens.

I have tried a number of solutions to this problem - I have 3 hard drives, with XP running off one of the SATA drives. The IDE is currently empty and the other SATA holds media. I have tried running windows restore console and doing a CHKDSK /R on all disks. The boot hard drive has an 'unrecoverable error' on it, as did the other sata drive but that apparently disappeared after a second run of CHKDSK /R. After having run the CHKDSK on the drives, the system amazingly managed to boot fine, however, at the next reboot the problem reoccured. I have tried swapping the SATA cable/controller on my boot drive, but that has not helped.

With some difficulty I would probably be able to get the hard drive to another desktop to have a look at, but from what I have read elsewhere this can cause problems for the host machine. I am currently at a loss as to what to do. I am currently trying running CHKDSK repeatedly, and keeping rebooting, hoping that it will work again.

Any advice gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

One site said replacing the SATA cable solved the problem
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

I'd suggest:
1) checking the cables (as garmanma suggested)
2) running a hard drive diagnostic tool (available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive)
3) reinstalling the JMicron drivers for your motherboard
4) uninstalling Daemon-Tools
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 MagicAdam

MagicAdam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. As stated in my post, I have already tried swapping the SATA cable and controller number. Unfortunately, I don't know how I can uninstall Daemon tools, or looking at the hard drive/jmicron drivers while I can not get the system to boot at all, any guidance on performing such operations would be great thanks!

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:11 AM

DOH! :thumbsup: I missed that part, sorry!

I've recently read something about replacing/disabling drivers through the Recovery Console - but it's way, way beyond my abilities. Have you considered trying a repair install of XP? Read this first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 then the Repair Install how-to is here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Another thought that comes to mind is to use something like the Ultimate Boot CD (free here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) to rename the sptd.sys file (for example, rename it to sptd.bak) to see if the boot process will then let the driver initialization fail and proceed on with the rest of the boot. You also may want to rename JGOGO.sys to JGOGO.BAK to see what that does. Keep track of these changes as they could make the situation worse - so you'd have to be able to reverse them easily.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MagicAdam

MagicAdam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

Yes, I have considered the option of a repair install, however I am aware that this may cause me to lose a lot of the stuff on the drive - stuff in my documents etc., which I really don't want to do! I could do a fresh install of XP on another drive, but I have been told it is unlikely that I will be able to access the other drive, as the previous XP install was under a password protected user, meaning the files will be encrypted. I will look into the boot CD option though.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

A repair installation will leave your data and programs intact. A clean install (also known as a wipe and reinstall) will wipe everything out. The key is to tell Windows to reinstall over the previous installation.

An install of XP on another drive will allow you to access the first drive. As long as the profile wasn't set to "Private" you should be able to access the files (there are also ways around the "Private" setting). Using them is another matter - but that's usually overcome by taking ownership of the files. To do this, right click on the files/folders and select "Properties", then select the "Security" tab. If the tab isn't visible, you'll have to boot into Safe Mode to do this.

Once in the Security tab, click on the Advanced button, then on the Owner tab in the next window. Double click on your user name, then check the box about replacing permissions on sub-containers, and then click "Apply". Once you close the dialog you should be able to access those files and move them around as you need to.

Edited by usasma, 08 May 2008 - 12:25 PM.
added stuff in ( ) 's in 2nd paragraph

#8 MagicAdam

MagicAdam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:35 PM

Thank you again for the reply. I am having someone take away the drive to see if they can access it by hooking up to another computer - which will be equivalent to installing XP on another drive, but with much less hassle. Hopefully best case scenario they can access it, back up, transfer and I will retake ownership (via safe mode as I am running XP home not pro). If not, repair install might be next thing to try. Cheers again, I'll repost with any relevant news!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users