Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Physical Memory Usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rman56

rman56

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

First off, I apologize if I am not doing this properly, but I always seem to have a problem of not knowing exactly where to post something, especially with so many pages to look through for a specific topic. That said...

I just bought an emachines T3642, AMD Athlon 4000+, single core and very good, Vista Home Premium. I have a question as to what it actually means when I open up my Task Manager and I read this at the bottom of the Task Manager Window.

Processes running are generally between upper 50's and lower 60's, CPU usage is generally between 2% and 7%, but the Physical memory is rarely if ever under low 60's%. What I'm asking is does that mean that I'm using 61% of my 1 gig of memory that came with this unit and if so, is that a high number. You know a lot of stuff comes preinstalled and I'm always worried about uninstalling anything that I didn't install myself for fear of doing damage to my computer.

Also, when I initially open the Task Manager, in the CPU Usage area, anywhere from 80 to 100% will flash for a moment, and then drop down to the single digits percentage. I am aware of a lot of processes running in background, but should I be concerned about the 80 to 100% that does flash for just that moment.

Whatever information you need I will be glad to provide. I'm not a computer expert. I just like to have a machine that runs as fast and as efficiently as it can, and I'd like to understand a little bit about the basics. I didn't seem to notice the high physical memory numbers when I had my last computer with XP Home, but I ruined that machine over a year ago and can't remember for sure.

Thanks for any help you can provide and sorry if this should be somewhere else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

My memory usage is about the same with not much running in the background. I've heard Vista gobbles up alot of memory which I guess is a good thing cause more stuff running in memory means it's not coming from the much slower hard drive.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:06 PM

Vista is much better with memory than XP. Vista also uses SuperFetch which pre-loads your most frequently used programs, including background programs, into memory to make them load faster. Should a program need the space, the program is unloaded and space is given.

3939.png

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:50 AM

Here's a link to a technical article on Windows memory improvements: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysin...als/memmgt.mspx
And here's an excellent discussion about the "quirks" in displaying memory statistics, even though it was published prior to Vista (works best in IE): http://www.microsoft.com/emea/spotlight/se...001491050E0E6C3

FWIW - I've got 8 gB of RAM on 64 bit Vista and it's running around 60% for me also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users