Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Sandbox For Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

Is there a free virtual sandbox for Vista? I've seen the one from Fortres Grand but the system requirements are for XP/2000.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:46 PM

Returnil Personal Edition is good enough for any user. Only for Vista 32-bit though. Also, you'll have to reboot to erase all changes.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#3 MishY

MishY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for that Skyfuser, seems to be working as promised.

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

Glad to help :thumbsup:
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#5 MishY

MishY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

Went to Offensive Computing, http://www.offensivecomputing.net/ and infected my computer with several of the latest malware samples and Returnil kept them all off the computer. Ran HJT and Silent Runners, not a trace of malware to be found.
This program is awesome!

Edited by MishY, 09 May 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#6 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

Yep. I have fun crashing my computer and then rebooting :thumbsup:
This is an awesome software, although I'm somewhat concerned about the ways less moral people can abuse it to their advantage :\

#7 MishY

MishY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

I was going to abuse anything, I just don't trust my AV program to keep me 100% safe which is somewhat validated in that article at Offensive Computing. I see the sandbox as another layer of protection from internet baddies.

#8 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

Yes, but I'm thinking of other less civilized people that will abuse the fact that nothing dangerous will remain on their system.
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users