Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express 6

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hi

I use O E. 6 on my computer I would like to move one of the internal files (Saved personal E Mails ) to another part of
my computer out of O E.

They are building up and I dont want to loose them.

Thanks Clank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

Try This:

http://help.isu.edu/index.php?action=knowl...6&docid=997
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

clank,

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think what you want to do is move your messages someplace else, like maybe to a folder in My Documents so you can then delete them from your Inbox (or other folders) so OE isn't so large. But you still want to have access to them. I can't think of any software that will do that for you except for DBXtract. Although it's designed to try to recover corrupted emails, it does make copies of the emails outside of OE. I could be wrong because I used it a long time ago, but I believe it does list each email separately with titles (subject lines) you can recognize. And I believe you can read them within DBXtract, without putting them back into OE. This software is shareware, but only $7.00.

http://www.oehelp.com/Default.aspx

OEX looks good too, but it's more expensive.

http://www.oehelp.com/OEX/Default.aspx

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:23 PM

If you don't want to spend money on a program, there is a way to save your messages to another part of your computer. It's a round-about way of doing it, but it works.

First, navigate to where you want the saved messages to be.
Then create a folder called Saved Personal Email or whatever you want to call it. Open up the new folder.

Next open OE, then open the folder within OE.
At this point, at the right upper side of OE, click the box next to the X, this will reduce the size of the page. From the taskbar, click on the name of the folder to bring it up-OE will now overlay the folder.
In the OE folder, choose Edit/Select All.
Then drag and drop the messages into the newly created folder.
Make sure all your messages are in the new folder, then delete from OE.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:10 AM

Queen-Evie,
Great suggestion! I should have thought of that. I tried it by just copying an Inbox.dbx from an Identity, but when I opened it, OE defaulted to my primary Identity instead. Sometimes I make things harder than it is and the obvious escapes me. This should work just find for crank.

#6 clank

clank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

Thanks to both of you for the replies

I did as you said and now have a copy of all my saved E mails on my desk top

Nice to have friends like you

Clank, allthough Crank as you called me suits me as well. :thumbsup: