Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to transfer win 98 files to XP machine?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brookers

brookers

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:43 PM

I have purchased a 3ghz XP machine and still have my old Win 98 machine. I removed the win 98 HD and installed into XP machine. Could view and use WORD files no worries but when accessing Publisher files no go. Publisher was part of Microsoft Office on the old Win 98 machine.

Is there some way of transfering the complete content of the Win 98 programs and files so I can use them on the new XP machine? (NB: there is no capacity problem and I am aware that win 98 is FAT and XP NTFS. Also I no longer have the installation disks for Office or any of the programs which are on the WIn 98 HD.

There are many years of work done in the old computer and I would dearly love to have access to those files on my new machine instead of reconnecting all my peripherals to the old machine and booting it up)

I hope there is an easy solution to this problem. Thanks for any help at all.

Brookers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:59 PM

I came across this MS article, which may help you with your Publisher Problem:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/x...ns/column16.asp

A good alternative to MSOffice is OpenOffice.Org, a free and very full-featured office suite which is compatible with MS office files:

http://www.openoffice.org/product/

I think between the two things I have mentioned, you should be able to use the old files.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 brookers

brookers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:30 AM

Thanks jgweed for you lightning fast response. I checked out Openoffice which is a 64Meg download and a bit difficult with my dial up speed. But it still remains an option. Your other suggestion referring me to an article requires that I open up an existing Publisher program on the XP machine and adjust the printer settings. Unfortunately the only Publiser program I have is on the WIN98 machine.

I'll clarify exactly what I have done. I took the HD from the 98 machine, connected it to the XP machine and simply transferred the whole disk's contents to a D: drive on the XP machine. I then selected Publisher files from this download expecting them to work. Of course they didn't.

Should I have partitioned my HD on the XP machine and 'ghosted' the Win 98 disk's contents across so that I had a dual operating system? Would this be the only way it would work?

When I access MSPUB.exe from the downloaded files and attempt to open it I get "cannot find pubdlg.dll file". Will Publisher 98 only open in a WIN 98 environment?

In essence, how can I transfer the file contents of a WIN 98 operating system to a XP machine and open them up?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Brookers

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:21 AM

Re the 64MB download via dial-up - go down to the newsagents and check the PC mags. You should easily be able to find one that has OpenOffice included on the CD. Save yourself the time and hassle of a l-o-o-o-n-g download.
(Its on the March 2005 PCAuthority discs for example.)

Edited by Rimmer, 29 March 2005 - 06:27 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 brookers

brookers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:14 AM

Thanks Rimmer for tip. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users