Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Not Detected In Drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 elomont

elomont

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

I've searched a bit and could not find exactly where to post this problem, so I'm hoping someone can direct me there.

My problem is as follows:

In the past, whenever I've placed a cd or dvd in my drive, it would give me a pop up of what I would like to do with that media.

However, it no longer gives me that pop up and I can't get it to play whatever I have in there.

I've also clicked on My Computer, then that drive and it's not detecting anything in the drive. Where as before, it would tell me the name of the movie that was in that drive, along with an icon.

Can someone lead me to correcting this problem or send me a link with a previous discussed forum.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:38 AM

well drives die, get dirty but software conflicts also confuse windows

it's best to test a bootable cd in the drive, if that fails to boot your machine it's a pretty sure sign of hardware failure
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:44 AM

Give me an example of a "bootable" cd?

Sorry, I'm no expert at this, so I need a bit of clarification.

Thanks.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

usually an OS reinstall disk? you might borrow one after testing on another computer with a known working drive
Chewy

#5 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

OK, so I discovered it will automatically read cd's, but it will not read dvd's. I'm also trying to install a new modem and it won't let me use the installation cd that comes with the modem because of this same problem.......or, at least, I think it's related to this same problem.

My drive is a HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L.

I've Googled solutions, I've searched BC for possible solutions, and it's still unsolved.

If anyone comes up with something, Great!

#6 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

Dachew, let me ask you this......

I read this link, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic21879-45.html, awhile back and did all 5 changes. Can this be part of my problem now?

And after reading this topic (post #4), http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...l=drive+reading, and looking up #387 on the kellys korner link, my computer does not show either "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091 or "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000.

The only things that show up is, Default RE_SZ (value not set) and NoCDBurning REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0).

Does this lead to any clarification on my problem?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

you have to clarify by isolating hardware from software issues and you do that by manually opening disks that are in drives not by confusing the issue with autoplay/autoinsert
Chewy

#8 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

I have since just installed a new DVD drive. I did not succeed at correcting the problem with the old one, so I gave up!

The other one, which still only reads audio cd's is still installed also.

I'm just posting this so that someone knows I never corrected the problem, kind of an end for this topic, if you will.

#9 Traveling Piercer

Traveling Piercer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

I am having the exact same problem with my HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L drive. I have searched the web for answers and have found that this is a fairly common problem for this drive. It just fails. Period. No fixing it (yourself). Use it for a cd player and get a new one. :thumbsup:

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:17 AM

:flowers:

Default Settings for CDRom and DVD is normally Slave.

If you have two fitted there will naturally be a Conflict through Windows trying to recognis both if they are set as Slaves. try setting one as a Master and one as a Slave? The Jumper Settings are on the CD/DVD Body.

Post back after trying that.

:thumbsup:

#11 Traveling Piercer

Traveling Piercer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

Default Settings for CDRom and DVD is normally Slave.

If you have two fitted there will naturally be a Conflict through Windows trying to recognis both if they are set as Slaves. try setting one as a Master and one as a Slave? The Jumper Settings are on the CD/DVD Body.

Post back after trying that.

I actually only have the one drive... i took out my other dvd writer and gave it to my father... DOH!!! o well... i think i have another dvd player in storage. thanks for the reply tho, i didnt even think of that one.

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:33 AM

You are Welcome.

It is so simple? most people overlook it.

BTW Cable select wont get around it as they are BOTH Slaves.

If BOTH are set to Cable Select, then it would work.

Edited by Abacus 7, 31 December 2009 - 06:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users